I truly am a riceaholic. It may be because I am half-Asian. 🙂 Some of my favorite dishes are rice based: risotto, and biryani to name a couple. I also adore Mexican rice, which is so flavorful and easy to prepare. It is the perfect accompaniment to Mexican food, and I like to serve it alongside fish and chicken as well.…
Mexican cuisine is one of the most beloved cuisines around the world. I wanted to discover what Mexicans would eat to celebrate their holiday as Cinco de Mayo was approaching.
Cinco de Mayo
I found out a few interesting things during my research. Cinco de Mayo is not Mexican Independence Day, as I had previously thought. Instead this holiday celebrates the Mexican army’s victory over the French in a battle fought near Puebla City on May 5, 1862, and is mainly celebrated in the Puebla region in Mexico.…
This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
I’m absolutely positive there are others out there who were in love with guacamole from the day they were born, like myself.
Guacamole is heaven. 🙂 Many people are enamored with avocado toast…I say guacamole toast!!
You have the choice of buying many numerous ready made guacamole concoctions from your grocery stores. They are good. However, the guacamole that you can make at home is far superior and far less expensive than the ready made at your local grocery store!
Few ingredients…amazing taste and flavor! Avocado, lime, chili, garlic, salt and pepper. That’s it…for one of the most amazing foods in the world. 🙂
Eat guacamole with chips, tacos, tostadas, chalupas, salad, toast. etc. etc. On its own or a dip for veggies it is amazing.
1,000 FOODS TO EAT PROJECT
Guacamole is one of the 1,000 Foods to Eat listed in the book 1,000 Foods To Eat Before You Die, by Mimi Sheraton. It is #12 on my quest to prepare and eat each of the foods listed in the book.
Other Mexican Recipes You May Enjoy
Please also check out my recipe for Chalupas Poblanas, a dish from Pueblo, Mexico which is great for Cinco de Mayo or anytime you’d like Mexican food. And Spicy Mexican Rice is the perfect accompaniment for any Mexican main meal.
Supremely Delicious Guacamole
- 1 Avocado from Mexico!
- 1 Thai chili finely minced (use serrano or jalapeno if desired)
- 1 large garlic clove finely mince
- 1/4 lime juiced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Finely mince your chili and garlic. You could use Thai (my favorite!), serrano, or jalapeno according to your preference. Mince in a food processor if available and add to a bowl.
- Cut your avocado in half, and remove the seed from one side. Scoop out the flesh from the avocado, and add to the bowl which contains the chili and garlic mixture.
- Take a fork and mash the avocado. Mix the mashed avocado with the garlic and chili, and then add the lime juice. Mix again, and add salt and pepper to taste.