I was given 2 hams for Thanksgiving. These were not used at our feast at my sister’s house (she hosted yay!), so here I am with a huge amount of ham and what to do with it? Make Creamy Cauliflower, Potato, and Cheesy Ham Chowder of course!
The chowder also includes onion and garlic, chicken broth, and heavy cream. I used cheddar in the soup, and parmesan shavings to top the soup. Cheese and more cheese is a fabulous thing. 🙂 This really was absolutely delicious and was accompanied by a light salad and a French demi baquette.
The ham imparted such an amazing flavor to the soup and I’m happy that I have more ham so that I can whip up this soup again!
You will absolutely love this delicious soup!
You may also enjoy these soups as well!
Creamy Cauliflower, Potato, and Cheesy Ham Chowder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 small potato peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4-1/2 lb diced ham
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 head cauliflower cut into small pieces
- 32 oz chicken broth you may have some left over
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- parmesan cheese shavings as soup garnish (optional)
- cayenne pepper to sprinkle on top (optional)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Heat up your olive oil in a large sauce pan on med – med high heat. Add your onion and garlic, and saute until softened, around 3-5 minutes.
- Add the ham, and stir fry for around 3 minutes. Then add the cauliflower and potato and give it a stir.
- Add enough chicken broth to cover the mixture and then bring to the boil. Cover, then lower to a simmer and simmer for around 15 minutes, or until the potato and cauliflower are tender.
- Turn the heat down to low. Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and heavy whipping cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.