Creamy Cauliflower, Potato, and Cheesy Ham Chowder is serious comfort food. This chowder is great to warm you up on cold days, but it's also a hug in a bowl. Eat this and you are guaranteed to feel a pick-me-up on any day you need one. 🤗
Why You Will Love This Hug In A Bowl
Sit down with a bowl of this, indulge, and forget about the rest of the world for just a bit.
You'll love this cheesy cauliflower, potato, and ham chowder because:
- It's a creamy, cheesy delight! So truly delicious that you might want to double the recipe so you can go back for more.
- This recipe is easy and contains simple ingredients that you can find at your local grocery store.
- You can have this ready to enjoy in about 30 minutes.
There's everything to love about this cauliflower chowder! So now let me tell you what you'll need to make this restaurant worthy chowder!
You will need the following ingredients to make this ham and cauliflower chowder:
- Diced ham
- Olive oil
- Fresh garlic
- Chicken broth or chicken stock
- Heavy whipping cream
- Shredded Cheddar
- Black Pepper
- Parmesan cheese shavings (optional but oh so amazing garnish!)
- Thai chilis (great addition to add a bit of spice to your chowder, but optional)
- Cayenne pepper (could also sprinkle on top for a bit of extra heat if you so desire)
I used cheddar in the soup, and parmesan shavings to top the soup are great to add as well. Cheese and more cheese is a fabulous thing. 😀
Now I'll guide you through the easy step by step instructions to make this chowder!
Heat up your olive oil in a large sauce pan on med - med high heat. Add your onion, garlic, and Thai chilis (if using) saute until softened, around 3-5 minutes.
Add the ham, and stir fry for around 3 minutes. Then add the cauliflower and potato and give it a stir.
Add enough chicken broth to cover the mixture and then bring to the boil. Cover, then lower to a simmer and simmer for around 15 minutes, or until the potato and cauliflower are tender.
Turn the heat down to low. Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and heavy whipping cream. Now add the salt and pepper and your dish is ready to enjoy!
Suggestions For Serving
It's time to enjoy the fruits of your labor!
The ham imparts such an amazing flavor to the chowder, and the cauliflower is melt in your mouth tender.
This is absolutely delicious and the perfect accompaniments are a light green salad and some ciabatta bread to soak up all the scrumptiousness!
Oh, and don't forget to add some shavings of Parmesan and some sprinkles of Cayenne pepper to take this chowder to the next level.
Benefits of Eating Cauliflower
So turns out this soup is pretty good for you! It includes cauliflower, which is on a list of Powerhouse Fruits and Vegetables from the CDC. I just discovered this list of produce ranked by nutrient density. These are supposed to be some of the best foods you can eat to help prevent chronic disease. Cauliflower is #24!
Cauliflower is a great source of fiber and vitamins, including the B-vitamins, C, and K. It also contains cancer fighting antioxidants. I'm going to work on incorporating more cauliflower into my diet after learning this!
Store any leftover cauliflower ham chowder in an airtight container in your refrigerator. This is best enjoyed within 3 days.
The main difference between a soup and a chowder is that chowder is cream based and is richer and thicker than a soup.
Some Other Recipes You May Enjoy!
Here are some other recipes that you may enjoy:
- The BEST Spicy Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
- New Hampshire Inspired New England Clam Chowder
- How To Elevate Canned Tomato Soup
Join Me On A Fun Food Journey!
I invite you to come along on this food journey with me! Please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here.
Creamy Cauliflower, Potato, and Cheesy Ham Chowder
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 Thai chilis minced (leave out if you prefer a non spicy version)
- 1 large potato peeled and cut into small pieces
- ¼-1/2 lb diced ham
- 1 head small cauliflower cut into small pieces
- 32 oz chicken broth you may have some left over
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- parmesan cheese shavings as soup garnish (optional)
- cayenne pepper to sprinkle on top (optional)
- ½ ts salt
- ½ ts pepper
- Heat up your olive oil in a large sauce pan on med - med high heat. Add your onion, garlic, and Thai chilis (if using) saute until softened, around 3-5 minutes.
- Add the ham, and stir fry for around 3 minutes. Then add the cauliflower and potato and give it a stir.
- Add enough chicken broth to cover the mixture and then bring to the boil. Cover, then lower to a simmer and simmer for around 15 minutes, or until the potato and cauliflower are tender.
- Turn the heat down to low. Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and heavy whipping cream. Now add the salt and pepper and your dish is ready to enjoy!