This page may contain affiliate links. So, I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. Here is a post about Scrummy British Beans on Toast!
Netflix Night! Behind Her Eyes
We have been watching the Netflix series called "Behind Her Eyes" which is based on the psychological thriller novel of the same name by Sarah Pinborough. The series is set in England, a beautiful country that I had the privilege of living in for 7 years.
I love to cook a meal on movie/Netflix nights that has something to do with the film or program we are watching. Usually either the setting, or food actually eaten or highlighted in the film or program can inspire the meal.
Beans on Toast makes an appearance in the first couple of episodes of Behind Her Eyes, so was totally inspired to make this delicious British dish!
I don't remember eating Beans on Toast very often when I was in England! But I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this simple, easy, and delicious meal and I KNOW YOU WILL TOO!
What Do You Need To Make British Beans On Toast?
Beans on Toast is what it says it is....beans on toast. So what makes this special? Read on...
The beans you need to use MUST be Heinz Beans With Tomato Sauce. This is THE ONE THE ONLY beans to use for Beans on Toast.
This a product of the UK and you may be able to find it at your local grocery store or you can purchase here on Amazon. These beans are not sweet like Boston Baked Beans. Also, technically you can use other beans HOWEVER I highly recommend you use these Heinz Beans in Tomato Sauce for the authentic British Beans on Toast experience!!
Heat gently and do not allow to boil, just as the instructions state.
In addition to beans obviously you need toast! Here is where I make a slight departure from British Beans on Toast. The totally authentic British version uses toasted white bread. However, when I made this I only had sourdough on hand and OMG...I do NOT regret using sourdough for this dish!
Whatever type of bread you decide to use (white or sourdough), be sure to spread a generous amount of butter on top. The butter TRULY makes a difference!! Also, be sure to cut into triangles as pictured above!
DIVINE Beans on Toast!
So we have beans, toast, and butter...for the beans on toast experience that is all you really need. HOWEVER, let's elevate Beans on Toast to something divine! To do that prepare some broadly grated medium cheddar cheese, and have some Worcestershire Sauce and Tabasco Sauce at the ready. 🙂
The medium cheddar should be broadly grated. If it is finely grated, it melts too fast. You are after something like this...
For the optimum effect, add the cheese right after you add the hot beans, and then watch it just melt prior to you enjoying bite after bite of this AMAZING DISH!
Last but not least, add Worcestershire Sauce and/or Tabasco Sauce as the perfect finishing touches. Considering how simple a dish this is, you will be surprised at how delicious and how satisfying it is. I dare say that I am confident you WILL be craving this again!
A Final Note About Assembly
The last part to this is the assembly. I recommend that the bread is assembled as pictured above. What you have is flat pieces of bread with slices on top that are assembled at an angle. When you place the beans on top, don't cover every slice of bread! Cover some of the bread but leave some uncovered so that you don't have a situation where all the bread gets soggy due to the beans. 🙂
Add the cheddar right after adding the beans. Then add dashes of Worcestershire and/or Tabasco to your hearts content!
So let's make some Beans on Toast! You can make these to accompany watching "Behind Her Eyes" or they make a yummy breakfast, lunch OR dinner!
My husband Steve finished his first plate then asked "Is there more?" To me that is SUCCESS!
I very much hope that you will try some Easy and Scrummy British Beans on Toast soon!
Some Other Recipes You May Enjoy!
Easy and Scrummy British Beans on Toast!
- 5 slices sourdough bread you can use white bread, which is more traditional, but sourdough was completely delicious!
- 1 can Heinz Beans in Tomato Sauce a product of the UK and the BEST choice of beans for this dish!
- spreadable butter adds a total richness to the dish...a MUST!
- cheddar cheese recommend medium cheddar; grate broadly as finely grated melts too quickly
- Worcestershire sauce for garnish
- Tabasco sauce for garnish
- Toast your bread and then spread generously with your favorite butter. Cut into triangles, and set aside.
- Pour the Heinz beans into a small saucepan. Heat gently (do not allow to boil) until a nice temperature and ready to serve.
- Assemble your beans on toast by laying the 5 triangles of bread (per serving) down on your plate. Try to assemble so that some of them are at an angle. Pour half the beans over the bread that is at an angle (leaving some of the bread without any beans on top). Then add some broadly grated cheddar and watch it melt.
- Last but not least, add a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce and/or Tabasco sauce, and enjoy to your heart's content!