This page may contain affiliate links. So, I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about creating a delicious Shrimp Gumbo using Zatarain's Gumbo Mix!
When we visited Southeastern Oklahoma (aka Choctaw Country) in 2019, we stayed in a fantastic Airbnb with an amazing view. Each night I cooked at "home" and one evening I made a Shrimp Gumbo. It was easy...I used Zatarain's Gumbo Mix. If you haven't tried this and you like gumbo please give it a try!
Think of this Gumbo Mix as a base or foundation. Follow my recipe below, or use your creativity to come up with your own delicious gumbo!
All you need for the gumbo that I made is:
- Box of Zatarain's Gumbo Mix (you should be able to find this at your local grocery store; I have also linked here to Amazon)
- 14.5 oz can of Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 lb shrimp
- Hot Pickled Okra - Optional (but oh so good!)
- Green Onions - Optional for garnish
The Zatarain's Gumbo Mix already includes rice, so you won't need to make additional rice to accompany this dish. They make it so easy!
Treat Yourself To Some Shrimp Gumbo, Ready in About 30 Minutes!
This Shrimp Gumbo is rich and delicious! Would you believe it can be ready for dinner in about 30 minutes? YES!
All you need to do is bring the Zatarain's Gumbo Mix and some water to the boil followed by simmering for 15 minutes. You'll then add your shrimp to simmer for 10 minutes and allow it to rest for 5.
Hot Pickled Okra
You can also throw the Hot Pickled Okra in while cooking the gumbo, however I find it is perfect as a garnish. 🙂
We still have some of this Hot Pickled Okra in our fridge, so I whipped up some more gumbo the other evening (recreating that meal from last year) and we were treated once again to a delicious shrimp gumbo!
If you would like to purchase the Hot Pickled Okra online, I have linked to Lovera's Market's Hot Pickled Okra here and above. You may also be able to find it at your grocery store, or you can check some varieties of Hot Pickled Okra for sale on Amazon by clicking here.
This delicious pickle adds such incredible flavor to this gumbo, so I highly recommend slicing it up and throwing in as much of it as you desire!
Lovera's Market, Krebs, Oklahoma
Lovera's is a small shop with all sorts of artisan foods...I wanted to buy EVERYTHING in that store! As indicated above, they have an online shop LoverasMarket.com so check it out if you get a chance!
Enjoy Some Shrimp Gumbo Soon!
To conclude, I hope you will enjoy some scrumptious Shrimp Gumbo, made easy with Zatarain's Gumbo Mix, very soon!
Some Other Recipes You May Enjoy!
If you'd like to come along with me on a fun food journey, please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 🙂
Easy Shrimp Gumbo Using Zatarain's Gumbo Mix!
- 1 box Zatarain's Gumbo Mix
- 14.5 oz Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 6 cups water
- green onions optional for garnish
- Hot Pickled Okra optional BUT Essential if you know what I mean! For garnish 🙂
- Combine 6 cups of water with the Zatarain's Gumbo Mix in a large saucepan. Stir well and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in your shrimp and stewed tomatoes, and then cover and simmer for an additional 10 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Remove from heat, and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and some delicious Hot Pickled Okra!