This page may contain affiliate links. So, I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. Here is a post about the amazingly delicious Filipino Beef Stew called Caldereta!
What Is Caldereta?
Caldereta, also spelled Kaldereta, is a stew made with goats meat from the Philippines. However, other variations exist and beef is commonly used in this amazing stew. This stew also includes vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, onions, bell peppers, as well as olives. The recipe you find here uses beef.
The meat is stewed with these vegetables along with a liver paste/spread. This spread enriches the taste of this stew like you wouldn't believe!
"Caldereta" comes from the Spanish word "caldera" which means cauldron. The Philippines were occupied by the Spaniards for many years. The Wikipedia article on caldereta mentions that this dish is similar to meat stews from the Iberian peninsula which were brought to the Philippines by the Spaniards.
Spicy Caldereta Made Super Easy Using Mama Sita's Caldereta Spicy Sauce Mix!
You are in for a TERRIFIC TREAT if you have never tried this Filipino stew! It truly is incredibly delicious! It's also incredibly easy to make using a mix from Mama Sita's called Caldereta Spicy Sauce Mix. Mama Sita's products are truly all you need if you want to dip your toes into Filipino cuisine. They have a HUGE range of products, one of which is this AMAZING mix that I used to make my Beef Caldereta!
In addition to this mix, I highly recommend the liver paste/spread. You can buy that here on Amazon, or look for it in your local Asian market. Technically this is optional however for taste and authenticity please include the liver paste/spread.
Once you have these two items, you will just need the beef, some lovely vegetables, and some olives and you are ready to go!
The Method to Make The Most Delicious and Tender Beef Caldereta!
So, this is slow cooking...but it's totally worth it! There's prep to get your veggies cut and ready, but mostly this is hand's off. Take the time to enjoy the amazing aroma while your beef is cooking and becoming wonderfully tender!
Begin by browning beef which has been cut for stew in some hot oil.
Then add 2 cups of water which you will bring to the boil, and then simmer for around 1.5 hrs. Next add the Mama Sita's Caldereta Mix followed by potatoes and carrots. Simmer for around 20-30 minutes or until these vegetables are nice and tender.
The last steps are to add the remaining vegetables, some olives, and liver spread. The vegetables that I used were green peas and a green bell pepper. Oh, and because I like things extra spicy, I added some Thai chili's as well. 🌶️ However, this is purely optional.
Let that simmer a bit until these veggies are cooked through then get ready to feast on this DELICIOUS Filipino beef stew!!
Enjoy Some Delicious Caldereta Soon!
The hardest part about making this dish is the waiting. Truly! But this means that you can build up an appetite while waiting for the stew to work its magic and enjoy it that much more!
I served it at home with some white rice and garnished with some green onions. Truth be told...I am so looking forward to making this again!
Hearty, and full of incredible flavors, this is a stew that I know you will love and crave again and again.
I have read that in the Philippines Caldereta is served for special occasions such as parties and festivals. It definitely has its place at these special occasions, but I feel that any dinner with your family is also a perfect time to enjoy this beef stew.
Are you ready? Let's do this! 😀
Some Other Filipino Recipes You May Enjoy!
If you'd like to come along with me on a fun food journey, please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 🙂
Spicy Beef Caldereta
- Large covered skillet
- 1 pack Mama Sita's Caldereta Spicy Sauce Mix
- 2 lb beef cut up for stew
- 1 cup potatoes peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup carrots peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 ea green bell pepper cut into bite sized pieces, inner pith and seeds removed
- ½ cup green peas
- ¼ cup pitted green olives
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tbsp liver paste/spread optional BUT highly recommended for taste and authenticity!
- a few Thai chilies minced; again purely optional except for those who love things extra spicy!
- green onions sliced; optional garnish
- Heat up the olive oil in a large skillet (that has a cover) on medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the beef that has been cut up for stew, and pan fry until the beef has been browned. You will want to stir often.
- Add the water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer for around 1.5 hrs. Check it every so often and add water if necessary.
- Now add the Mama Sita's Caldereta Spicy Sauce Mix, and potatoes and carrots. Stir well, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the green peas, green bell pepper, and olives. If you are using the liver spread and chilies, also add them at this time. Stir well, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.