This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about the delicious Belizean street food called the Garnaches!
Belize is an INCREDIBLE destination for adventure seekers, as well as foodies!
One of the most popular foods in Belize is the Garnaches, which is a street food. My version is so very delicious and simple to make!
What Ingredients Are Needed To Make Garnaches?
Great news! You only need a few ingredients to make the Belizean Garnaches! The most tricky part of creating this is that you will need to make some Belizean Hot Pepper Onion Sauce, the addition of which makes this nice and SPICY!
So here are the ingredients you will need:
- Vegetable oil
- Corn tortillas
- Refried beans (canned or in a pouch and ready to heat)
- Belizean Hot Pepper Onion Sauce (consists of onion, habanero pepper, whole allspice, cilantro, water, salt, and vinegar!)
- Cooked shredded chicken (optional)
- Shredded Edam or Gouda cheese
The ingredients of this delicious dish combine to give you a spicy, creamy, and incredibly tasty dish!
How To Create and Assemble Your Garnaches!
All you have to do is fry some corn tortillas in oil until crispy.
Then top with the following (in this order):
Shredded cooked chicken (optional, but nice!)
Shredded Edam or Gouda cheese (I used Kroon Edam With Chili Peppers (oh my goodness it was yummy!)
You can also assemble them by switching the order of the cheese and the Belizean Hot Pepper Onion Sauce...it's all good!
I hope you will enjoy this delicious dish soon! Served as a main meal or as a yummy snack, it is SURE TO PLEASE EACH AND EVERY TIME!
Some Other Recipes You May Enjoy!
If you'd like to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone please join me by signing up here. 🙂
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 4 corn tortillas
- 15.2 oz refried beans canned or in a pouch
- few tbsp Belizean hot pepper onion sauce Visit https://explorecookeat.com/belizean-hot-pepper-onion-sauce/ for the recipe
- cooked shredded chicken optional but nice!
- few tablespoon Edam or Gouda cheese shredded
- Shred your cheese, and set aside.
- Warm the vegetable oil in a large skillet on medium high. Once the oil is hot, fry the corn tortillas on both sides until crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Remove once crispy and place on paper towels to drain and absorb the oil.
- Warm your refried beans. If using a pouch, follow the directions for warming, and if using canned, place the beans in a small saucepan and warm for a few minutes.
- Assemble your garnaches by layering the fried tortillas with these ingredients in the following order: refried beans, shredded cooked chicken (if using), Belizean hot pepper onion sauce, and shredded Gouda or Edam cheese!