This page may contain affiliate links. So, I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about a Chicken Breast Sandwich inspired by a trip to Pam's Hateful Hussy Diner!
Road Trip To Southeastern Oklahoma
Just about a year ago Steve, Toby, and I took a road trip from TX where we live to Oklahoma. We stayed in Southeastern Oklahoma in the town of Clayton, near a massive lake called Sardis Lake.
Choctaw Country and Talimena Scenic Drive
Pictured here is me sitting in a huge "Choctaw Country" chair. From Wikipedia, "Choctaw Country is the Oklahoma Department of Tourism and Recreation's official tourism designation for Southeastern Oklahoma." It is comprised of around 10 counties. By the way, the Choctaw are Native Americans and Choctaw Nation "is the third-largest federally recognized tribe in the United States and the second-largest Indian reservation in area after the Navajo." So you see the name "Choctaw" ubiquitously while in the area.
Believe it or not, Choctaw Country (Southeastern Oklahoma) has some amazing fall foliage! And one of the great places to view the changing of the seasons is on the Talimena Scenic Byway. We were just shy of the best color unfortunately. But we did take advantage of driving most of this 54 mile stretch of road. At one end is Talihina, Oklahoma, and the other is Mena, Arkansas.
Pam's Hateful Hussy Diner!
Before we started the drive from Talihina, we stopped to dine at the iconic Pam's Hateful Hussy Diner. Why this strange name? The story goes that one of Pam's "Coffee Club" regulars asked her for some coffee when she was really busy. She told him that he had been coming into the restaurant long enough, you know where the coffee is get it yourself! He called her a "Hateful Hussy," and the name stuck!
So, watch this video to meet Pam!
The Hateful Hussy Sandwich
I ordered the eponymous sandwich...grilled chicken breast, pepper jack cheese, and bacon, served on a Kaiser roll with honey mustard dressing. It was delicious! I decided to recreate this sandwich the other night as part of my trip down memory lane and here is my sandwich (bacon had a mind of its own!).
You will LOVE this Chicken Breast Sandwich! It's so easy to make and incredibly delicious (recipe below)!
Most importantly, if you are in Talihina, a stop at Pam's Hateful Hussy Diner is a must for DELICIOUS homestyle and country food which is made daily! Despite the name, you'll find friendly folk in the diner. 😃 Eat up, and then head out to enjoy a drive on the Talimena Scenic Byway, gazing at beautiful fall foliage if you get the timing right. ☺️
Other Sandwiches You May Enjoy!
In conclusion, sign up to get the latest recipes and culinary inspiration! Join me by signing up here. 🙂
Chicken Sandwich Inspired By Pam's Hateful Hussy Diner
- 2 Kaiser roll
- butter use to toast your Kaiser rolls
- 1 large chicken breast cut 2 make 2 thin slices, OR 2 thinly sliced chicken breasts (1 slice per sandwich)
- 4 slices bacon cooked then drained on paper towels (2 slices per sandwich)
- all purpose seasoning to taste (to season your chicken breast) OR use salt and pepper to taste
- iceberg lettuce few pieces to layer on your sandwich
- large tomato sliced to layer on your sandwich (recommended 1-2 slices per sandwich)
- honey mustard dressing I used Brianna's 🙂
- 2 slices pepper jack cheese 1 slice per sandwich
- Preheat your oven to 175F. Fry your bacon and drain on paper towels. Set aside. Season both sides of your chicken breast, and pan fry until thoroughly cooked, approximately 3-4 min each side.
- Spread butter on the cut side of your Kaiser rolls, and toast the cut side in a hot pan until nicely toasty brown.
- Place the pepper jack cheese on top of your chicken breasts, and put in your oven for a few minutes until the cheese starts to melt. This should only take around 2-3 minutes.
- Start layering your masterpiece of a sandwich! On the bottom part of the Kaiser roll add iceberg lettuce, sliced tomato, chicken and pepper jack cheese, bacon, and then pour as much honey mustard dressing over as you want!