This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about an Italian Broccoli Recipe With Garlic and Lemon!
I just adore Italian food. The Italians have such a way of using the simplest ingredients that combine to make the most sublime dishes. Italian Broccoli with Garlic and Lemon is one of those dishes. Super simple to make, and as mentioned wonderfully sublime.
Why You Will Love This Italian Broccoli Recipe
Your whole family will absolutely love this Italian Broccoli recipe because:
- It's absolutely delicious and has a great depth of flavor! One taste of this tender broccoli drizzled with a zingy and lemony garlicky butter sauce will have you craving for more it's so very appetizing!
- This recipe uses fresh and simple ingredients that are easily found at your local grocery store.
- It's incredibly simple to make. The hardest part is ensuring that you don't burn the thin cut slivers of garlic. But I'll guide you as to how to toast the garlic so that you will get beautiful golden brown garlic that doesn't burn.
- You can have this ready to enjoy in around 15 minutes.
Let me show you what you'll need to make this fantastic and delicious side dish!
We're going to be using the best and freshest ingredients in this simple recipe. You will need the following ingredients:
- 🥦 Fresh Broccoli, florets cut into small pieces. We will use 1 pound of broccoli, which is approximately 1 large head of broccoli; you can also sub broccoli rabe if you like
- Fresh garlic cloves, cut thinly into slivers
- Salt (I have used Himalayan pink salt, but you can use regular salt)
- Black pepper
- Lemon zest
- Lemon juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
Select a lemon that is small, and heavy for its size. That way you can determine that it is very juicy!
I'm getting excited to go through the steps of making this Italian broccoli recipe. I hope you are eager to make it!
Bring some salted water in a large pot to a boil on a medium-high heat. Add the broccoli florets and then boil for around 4-5 minutes for al dente, or to your desired tenderness. Then drain the broccoli using a colander or remove with a slotted spoon. Set it aside, and keep it warm while we make our zesty sauce.
Zest ½ of your lemon. I think a zester is one of the great tools that you can have at your disposal and I use my Oxo Zester often.
Then juice the entire lemon.
Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil (¼ cup) and butter to a large pan (cast iron is preferred) on medium-low heat. Now add the thin slivers of garlic. Saute the garlic until it turns a lovely shade of golden brown, as seen below.
You'll want to keep a close eye on this, because when it seems nothing is happening with your garlic, all of a sudden it starts to turn brown! A little patience may be required here, but stick with it and you will be rewarded with gorgeous toasted garlic. It took me around 4-5 minutes, and please be sure to stir often during this process.
Once the garlic turns golden brown, then add the salt, pepper, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir to combine thoroughly.
The last step is to pour this beautiful sauce over your warmed broccoli.
How To Serve This Italian Broccoli Side Dish
The BEST way to enjoy this healthy and delicious Italian broccoli is immediately. It's a wonderful side dish to accompany your favorite main meals. I love to serve this with Veal Parmigiana and Ribeye Steak.
I hope that you will take some time to create this dish in your home and savor its wonderful and zingy flavors with so much garlicky goodness! This may become your favorite way to serve broccoli 🥦.
A printable recipe card with nutritional information is available below.
Store any leftover broccoli in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 2 days.
This recipe uses garlic and lemon to give this broccoli side dish a fantastic flavor! You can also add some Parmesan cheese or Pecorino Romano, or even red pepper flakes if you like!
In Italy, broccoli is called Broccolo! Practice saying Broccolo with an Italian accent it's fun!
Some Other Delicious Recipes You May Enjoy
Here are some other side dish recipes that you may enjoy:
- Easy And Elegant White Asparagus Side Dish Recipe
- Easy and Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Refreshing Southern Cucumber Salad
Join Me On A Fun Food Journey!
If you'd like to come along on this food journey with me, please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here.
Italian Broccoli Recipe With Garlic and Lemon
- large pot to boil the broccoli
- Large pan or skillet to make the sauce
- 1 lb broccoli florets cut into bite sized pieces; you can sub broccoli rabe if you like
- 4 cloves garlic cut thinly into slivers
- ¼ ts salt
- ¼ ts pepper
- 1 each lemon zest of half a lemon and juice from the entire lemon (select a small lemon)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Begin by boiling the broccoli florets in some salted water in a large pot. Boil for around 4-5 minutes, or to your desired tenderness, and then drain the broccoli. Set it aside, and keep it warm while we make our zesty sauce.
- Zest ½ of your lemon and then juice the entire lemon.
- Add the olive oil and butter to a large skillet (cast iron is preferred) on medium low heat. Now add the thin slivers of garlic. Saute the garlic until it turns a lovely shade of golden brown, as seen in the picture. You'll want to keep a close eye on this, because when it seems nothing is happening with your garlic, all of a sudden it starts to turn brown! A little patience may be required here, but stick with it and you will be rewarded with gorgeous toasted garlic. It took me around 4-5 minutes, and please be sure to stir often during this process. Once the garlic turns golden brown, then add the salt, pepper, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- The last step is to pour this beautiful sauce over your warmed broccoli.