This page may contain affiliate links. So, I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about how easy it is to Make Your Own Delicious Chinese Black Bean Sauce!
I Took The Plunge And Made My Own Black Bean Sauce!
I’ve always enjoyed black bean sauce dishes when dining at Chinese restaurants. Recently I made my own Chinese black bean sauce and was absolutely delighted at the results! Once you make this sauce you may never buy commercially prepared black bean sauce again! It’s completely BURSTING WITH FLAVOR!
Not only is it delicious, but it’s SUPER easy! Allow me to show you just how easy it is, so that you can take the plunge too!
What is Black Bean Sauce?
Black bean sauce is made out of fermented and salted black soybeans. These soybeans are also known as “douchi.” Douchi is very salty and has a strong smell. To me, they smell like chocolate!
This incredible sauce is used extensively in Chinese cooking, and dishes containing this sauce are very popular in Chinese restaurants.
My recipe for the sauce includes the following ingredients:
- Vegetable oil
- Fermented and salted black soybeans
- Light soy sauce (can also sub regular soy sauce)
- Shaoxing rice wine
- Red chili flakes
I used Pearl River Bridge Flavor Preserved Beans. You can use these or your fermented black soybeans of choice. Most of these ingredients should be available at your Asian market, and I have also linked to Amazon for convenience sake.
It’s so hard to believe that just a few ingredients are needed to make this incredible sauce! So let’s do this!
How To Make The Most Incredible Homemade Black Bean Sauce!
Did I mention already how SUPER easy it is to make this sauce? 😀
Start by combining rinsed fermented black soybeans, ginger, garlic, and shallot in a food processor.
Next heat up some vegetable oil on medium, then add the contents of the food processor and cook for 2 minutes.
And that is it! Allow to cool, and then store in a glass jar in the fridge.
How To Use This Black Bean Sauce
This sauce is perfect for all your Chinese favorite dishes! It’s great as a seasoning to give tremendous flavor to stir fried vegetables as well as fish!
It’s perfect to use in this Easy and Mouthwatering Shrimp With Black Bean Sauce Stir Fry!
You can also use it to make Incredibly Easy and Delicious Mussels With Black Bean Sauce!
As previously mentioned, it is quite salty. So if you are watching your salt you will probably want to use this sparingly.
I do hope you will try making this fantastic and versatile sauce!
Some Other Recipes You May Enjoy!
Please sign up to get the latest recipes and culinary inspiration! Also come along with me on the 1,000 Foods to Eat Journey by signing up here. 🙂
Make Your Own Delicious Chinese Black Bean Sauce!
- Small skillet
- Small food processor
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup fermented black beans I used Pearl River Bridge
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce can also use regular soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 1/2 tbsp red chili flakes can omit or adjust to taste
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 shallot minced
- Start by combining rinsed fermented black soybeans, ginger, garlic, and shallot in a food processor. Process until minced.
- Next heat up some vegetable oil on medium, then add the contents of the food processor and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then it's time to add the remaining ingredients: red chili flakes, sugar, Shaoxing rice wine, and light soy sauce. Combine and cook on medium low for around 10 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Allow to cool, then store in the fridge in a glass jar or airtight container.