This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about how to make Simple and Delicious Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken!
Yearning For Chicken Lemon Grass
I frequently visited Vietnam Restaurant in San Antonio where I grew up. Almost without fail I would order their Chicken Lemon Grass. Many years later I still remember their delicious dish, which was so fragrant, and have been yearning for it.
However, this time I thought it would be fun to try to recreate their dish at home! I'm thrilled to say that my version satisfies my yearning for this wonderful food!
What is Lemongrass?
Lemongrass is a fantastic plant used for medicinal purposes as well as in cooking. This article from MasterClass.com is absolutely wonderful and discusses the culinary uses of lemongrass including how to buy it, as well as trim and prepare it.
This lovely plant has a lemony/citrusy fragrance and is highly aromatic. It has a lemony taste and lends a wonderful zing to dishes!
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken?
My version of this dish keeps things SUPER SIMPLE by using frozen lemongrass that has already been chopped. You could use fresh lemongrass if you like (see MasterClass.com article on how to prepare), however frozen chopped lemongrass makes things so much easier when it comes to prep! And, it's just as delicious!
You should be able to find frozen chopped lemongrass in the frozen section at your local Asian Market. To use it, removed from your freezer for around 15 minutes and allow to thaw a bit. You can then scrape off the portion of lemongrass that you need.
In addition to lemongrass, you will need the following ingredients for this dish:
- Chicken thighs
- Minced garlic
- Vegetable oil
- Oyster sauce
- Fish sauce
- Red Chili flakes (or Bon Chili aka Bon Cabe very hot!)
- Lemon juice
- Black pepper
Ok, now that we have our ingredients, let's make some INSANELY DELICIOUS Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken!
The Super Easy Method To Make This Fragrant and Zingy Dish!
Making Lemongrass Chicken is easy and quick! There is some marinating time involved (I recommend at least one hour) but other than that, prep and cooking takes about 15 minutes!
Start by combining the marinade ingredients, and then add to chicken thighs which have been cut into bite sized pieces. Cover and allow to marinate in your fridge for about an hour (longer if you have more time).
After the marinating time, remove the chicken from the refrigerator and slice your shallots and green onions.
Heat up some oil in a skillet (cast iron is highly recommended!) on high, and constantly stir fry the shallots for about 30 seconds. Then add the chicken and again constantly stir fry until the chicken is cooked through.
Your ABSOLUTELY FRAGRANT AND DELICIOUS Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken is now ready to serve!
Garnish with green onions, and serve with jasmine rice. Enjoy the beautifully delicious flavors in this dish, of which lemongrass is the star!
Some Other Recipes You May Enjoy!
to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 🙂
Simple and Delicious Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken!
- Cast iron skillet or wok preferred
- 1 lb chicken thighs cut up into bite sized pieces
- ¼ cup lemongrass using frozen lemongrass works a treat! Find it in the frozen aisle at your local Asian grocer
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 each shallots sliced
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil split
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 ts red chili flakes can also use Bon Chili!
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 ts sugar
- black pepper add at the end to your taste!
- Combine the marinade ingredients: 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil, lemongrass, garlic, oyster sauce, fish sauce, chili flakes, lemon juice, and sugar.
- Add to the chicken which has been cut into bite sized pieces and stir to coat. Allow to marinate in your fridge (covered) for a minimum of one hour. If you have time to leave it for a few hours longer so much the better!
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil (on high) in a skillet (prefer cast iron). Constantly stir fry the shallots for around 30 seconds.
- Now add the chicken. Stir fry constantly until the chicken is cooked through, around 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with jasmine rice and garnish with green onions. Enjoy!