This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. Here you will learn how to make Super Easy Japanese Teriyaki Chicken!
Unbelievably Easy and Delicious Chicken Teriyaki!
If you love Japanese food or easy and delicious food, then you NEED to make this recipe. This Chicken Teriyaki is:
- No fuss
- Quick to make (takes about 15 minutes)
- Requires only 6 ingredients
- MOUTHWATERINGLY DELICIOUS and bursting with salty, sweet, and umami flavors!
What Is Teriyaki?
“Teriyaki” comes from two words in the Japanese. “Teri” which means “shine” and “yaki” which means “grill”.
In Japan, teriyaki actually refers to the method or technique of grilling or broiling food with a glaze consisting of soy sauce, mirin, and sugar. The “teri” or “shine” comes from the sugar. Here is an article from Wikipedia about Teriyaki, which also discusses teriyaki sauce as well as some variations.
Here, I will show you how to make a “shine grill” chicken, which is one of the most beloved foods of the world!
The Ingredients You Will Need To Make This Easy and Delicious Dish!
You will only need the following 6 ingredients to make the most delicious Japanese Teriyaki Chicken ever!
- Boneless chicken thighs (skin on if you can find them)
- Soy sauce
- Mirin (Japanese cooking rice wine)
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
In addition to these ingredients, I highly recommend the following garnishes:
- Green onions
- Nanami Togarashi (Japanese assorted Chili Pepper for a little spice!)
Ok, now let’s make some divine Chicken Teriyaki!
The Method To Make Super Easy Japanese Teriyaki Chicken!
The method I will share with you involves pan frying. We will begin by combining the 3 sauce ingredients: sugar, soy sauce, and mirin.
Next season your chicken thighs with some black pepper (I used coarse pepper), and then pan fry in olive oil until both sides are browned.
Then the magic happens! Add the sauce and continue to spoon the sauce over the chicken, turning the chicken once or twice during this process. When the sauce thickens and becomes glossy your masterpiece will be ready!
What To Serve With Japanese Teriyaki Chicken
Teriyaki Chicken is absolutely terrific served with heaps of white steamed rice. I love to add some sliced green onions and Nanami Togarashi for a little spice as well. This is not traditional, but it is delicious!
This easy and delicious dish is sure to become a family favorite!
A Huge Thank You To Makoto of Kyushu Island Cooking!
Makoto of Kyushu Island Cooking taught me the technique I present here during an online cooking class I took with her. Please visit her blog, Simple Japanese Food Recipe, for some fantastic Japanese and Asian recipes!
Some Other Dishes You May Enjoy!
I invite you to come along on this food journey with me! Please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It’s an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 😊
Super Easy Japanese Teriyaki Chicken!
- 4 boneless chicken thighs skin on if you can find this
- 7 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 4 tsp olive oil
- green onions sliced
- Nanami Togarashi for a little extra spice!
- We will begin by combining the 3 sauce ingredients sugar, soy sauce, and mirin in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Next season your chicken thighs with some black pepper (I used coarse pepper). On a medium heat pan fry the chicken in olive oil until both sides are browned (about 3 minutes).
- Now add the sauce and continue to spoon the sauce over the chicken, turning the chicken once or twice during this process. It's important to keep basting during this time.
- Continue this process until the sauce thickens and becomes glossy. It is at that point that your chicken is cooked and ready to serve!