Hearty and Comforting Cholent aka Sabbath Stew
Cholent is a traditional dish steeped in history, and absolutely comforting and hearty. Cooked low and slow, it is absolutely worth waiting for. A bowl of this will sooth your soul.
- 1 lb beef stew meat fatty is ok
- ⅓ cup barley
- ½ cup dried chickpeas can sub dried lima or white beans
- 2 potatoes medium sized, peeled and diced
- 1 onion large, peeled and diced
- 10 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 2-3 eggs
- 1 ts paprika
- 1 ts garlic
- 1 ts salt more may be added at the end to taste
- 1 ts pepper more may be added at the end to taste
- water or beef broth amount will vary - use just enough to cover and then add more if necessary to keep a stew like consistency
Peel and dice the potatoes and onions. Peel the garlic and smash the cloves. Rinse the barley and chickpeas with water.
Place the beef at the bottom of your slow cooker and then top with barley and chickpeas.
Next add the potatoes, onions, and spices. The spices include paprika, ginger, salt, and pepper.
Now add water or beef broth to just cover the ingredients in your slow cooker. Stir to combine. Nestle the eggs gently into the mixture. These eggs are raw and will cook in the crockpot.
Set your slow cooker to low and cook for 12 hrs. Every once in awhile check to see if more water or broth is needed to keep a stew like consistency and add if necessary. Taste and adjust for seasoning by adding more salt and pepper to taste. You can now peel the eggs. :-)
Serve your Cholent with some delicious bread!
This dish is actually very versatile! You can try other types of fatty beef, dried beans, or veggies.
Just remember to cook low and slow!
Eat In Health!!
Calories: 589kcalCarbohydrates: 68gProtein: 50gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 203mgSodium: 924mgPotassium: 1641mgFiber: 13gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 202IUVitamin C: 36mgCalcium: 134mgIron: 8mg