The Great Icelandic Fish Stew!
This hearty stew is beloved by Icelanders! Here is a modern take on this traditional dish which is creamy, cheesy, and absolutely scrumptious!
- 1 lb cod can also use haddock
- 1 onion large
- 1 lb baby potatoes I used a colorful medley! Try to keep the potatoes a uniform size, so you may need to cut some of the larger ones down. Can also use russet potatoes (peeled and cut into smallish pieces)
- 3.5 cups chicken or fish stock may add additional ½ cup to make 4 cups if you prefer more broth
- ½ cup heavy cream can use milk if you prefer
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 ts curry powder S&B is a great one to use!
- 1 cup Emmentaler cheese grated
- salt to taste and also to cook the fish wish
- pepper to taste
- green onions sliced as a nice garnish!
Begin by placing your cod or haddock in a large skillet that has a cover. Add water to cover the fish, and around ½ ts salt, then bring to the boil and simmer on medium (covered) for around 10 minutes. When finished the fish will be nice and flaky. Drain the water from the fish.
While the fish is cooking, in a separate pot melt the butter on medium high heat. Add the diced onions and sauté around 5 minutes until softened.
Then you will add the stock and potatoes. Bring this to the boil, and then simmer (uncovered) until the potatoes are fork tender (around 20 minutes).
Next add the cooked fish to the pot and stir to break it up a bit.
Lastly, it's time to add the cream, grated Emmentaler, and curry powder. Stir to combine, then add salt and pepper to taste!
Enjoy this delicious and hearty stew with some nice crusty bread!
The nutrition information does not include salt that is added to taste and also assumes using unsalted broth.
Feel free to substitute Jarlsberg for the Emmentaler if you wish. You could lighten this up by subbing milk instead of cream.
If curry tastes are not your thing, by all means you can leave this out and just season with salt and pepper to taste.
Calories: 405kcalCarbohydrates: 25gProtein: 31gFat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 116mgSodium: 144mgPotassium: 1052mgFiber: 3gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 733IUVitamin C: 26mgCalcium: 286mgIron: 2mg