Bright and Beautiful Moroccan Orange Salad!
Delight both your eyes and your palate with this beautiful Moroccan Orange Salad!
- 2 oranges slice into disks (about ¼") and cut the pith and the rind off
- 1 oz olives pitted; can use black or green olives
- 1 small shallot peeled and cut into rings; can sub ¼ small red onion peeled and cut into rings
- 1 tablespoon parsley minced; can use Italian or curly parsley
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ts cumin seeds split; ⅔ will go in the dressing and ⅓ sprinkled on top
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 birds eye chilies minced (deseed if you like it less spicy or leave out completely); can sub ¼ ts red chili flakes
To make the dressing, combine olive oil, lemon juice, minced chilies, and some of the cumin seeds in a small bowl or salad dressing shaker. Whisk or shake (depending on the container you use), and then set this aside for around an hour to let the flavors infuse a bit.
Assemble your salad by laying the orange slices on a plate. Top with olives, shallots, parsley, cumin seeds, and a generous amount of dressing.
This dish is absolutely wonderful paired with the Classic Morrocan Chicken Tagine and couscous!
Opt for colorful blood oranges if you can get them. Cara cara oranges are also nice, and it's lovely to mix and match different colored oranges for maximum effect.
Ideally leave the dressing for around an hour to allow the flavors to infuse. However, you can use it right away if needed.
You most likely will have extra dressing left over which would go great with a leafy green salad.
Enjoy this beautiful taste of Morocco!
Calories: 358kcalCarbohydrates: 24gProtein: 2gFat: 31gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 22gSodium: 226mgPotassium: 390mgFiber: 6gSugar: 15gVitamin A: 573IUVitamin C: 109mgCalcium: 87mgIron: 1mg