Delicious and Hearty Pink Beans Recipe!
Pink beans are amazing! Here they are cooked with some killer spices, salt pork, and fresh thyme. This dish is sooo delicious and is perfect with barbecued meats or just paired with rice!
- ½ lb pink beans rinsed and sorted no need to soak! - can sub pinto beans
- 4.5 cups unsalted chicken broth can sub water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 cup bell pepper diced (can use any color you want)
- ½ ts pepper plus additional to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard I used Colman's
- ¼ lb salt pork diced (can sub ham hock)
- few sprigs thyme fresh is best, but can sub dried
- salt to taste (may not need any as the salt pork already adds salt)
Begin by heating up 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat in a large pot. Add minced onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes. Then add the bell pepper and celery and saute for 2-3 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
Now add the unsalted broth (or water), beans, and salt pork. Bring to the boil for around 10 minutes. Lower the heat to a simmer and add ½ ts pepper, the dry mustard and chili powder.
Stir through, cover, and simmer for around 1 hr - 1.5 hrs or until the beans are cooked and tender. Check on this every 20 minutes or so, and add a little water as necessary if you feel it's becoming too dry. Finally, add salt and pepper to taste and the thyme leaves from the sprigs.
Please note that it may not be necessary to add any salt, as the salt pork is quite salty. If you are watching your salt, you can cut back on the amount of salt pork called for, or eliminate this ingredient.
Feel free to sub pinto beans if you can't obtain pink beans. But I hope you can find pink beans!
Well known brands that sell pink beans are Camellia Brand, and Goya.
Calories: 322kcalCarbohydrates: 30gProtein: 12gFat: 19gSaturated Fat: 6gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 570mgPotassium: 141mgFiber: 6gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 1177IUVitamin C: 34mgCalcium: 21mgIron: 1mg