Creamy Cauliflower, Potato, and Cheesy Ham Chowder
So creamy and delicious, this is perfect for using up leftover Thanksgiving ham, or anytime you desire some serious comfort food!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 Thai chilis minced (leave out if you prefer a non spicy version)
- 1 large potato peeled and cut into small pieces
- ¼-1/2 lb diced ham
- 1 head small cauliflower cut into small pieces
- 32 oz chicken broth you may have some left over
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup shredded cheddar
- parmesan cheese shavings as soup garnish (optional)
- cayenne pepper to sprinkle on top (optional)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Heat up your olive oil in a large sauce pan on med - med high heat. Add your onion, garlic, and Thai chilis (if using) saute until softened, around 3-5 minutes.
Add the ham, and stir fry for around 3 minutes. Then add the cauliflower and potato and give it a stir.
Add enough chicken broth to cover the mixture and then bring to the boil. Cover, then lower to a simmer and simmer for around 15 minutes, or until the potato and cauliflower are tender.
Turn the heat down to low. Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and heavy whipping cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe calls for ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese to be added to the soup. You can adjust and add a bit more or less to your liking.
Top this deliciously creamy soup with parmesan shavings and some cayenne pepper to give it a kick if you like! Serve with a side salad and some amazing bread for a completely satisfying meal!