Delicious Sicilian Fennel and Blood Orange Salad
This Sicilian Fennel and Blood Orange Salad is sublime! Enjoy this refreshing salad when blood oranges are in season! Buon Appetito!
- 1/2 fennel bulb sliced thinly widthwise
- 1/4 red onion sliced thinly
- fennel fronds a few for accent and garnish!
- 2 blood oranges rind and pith removed, and sliced thinly (segmented ok too!)
For The Dressing
- 1/2 large lemon squeezed - use the juice from the lemon only
- 3 tbsp olive oil use the best quality that you can
- salt to taste
- black pepper freshly ground is best! to taste
Thinly slice the fennel bulb and red onion. Remove the rind and pith from the blood oranges, and thinly slice these as well.
Make the dressing by combining all dressing ingredients, with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Mix the dressing well.
Combine the sliced fennel, sliced red onion, and sliced blood oranges in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over these ingredients, and gently stir to bathe the salad with the dressing. Adjust seasoning if necessary by adding additional salt and pepper. Add some fennel fronds as garnish!
Enjoy this refreshing salad to accompany any mail meal! It is particularly well suited to pairing with fish. :-)