Spicy Beef Caldereta
This hearty and absolutely delicious beef stew from the Philippines will satisfy your every craving! Rich with beef, vegetables, and olives, this Caldereta is made so easy using Mama Sita's Caldereta Spice Mix!
- 1 pack Mama Sita's Caldereta Spicy Sauce Mix
- 2 lb beef cut up for stew
- 1 cup potatoes peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup carrots peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 ea green bell pepper cut into bite sized pieces, inner pith and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp liver paste/spread optional BUT highly recommended for taste and authenticity!
- a few Thai chilies minced; again purely optional except for those who love things extra spicy!
- green onions sliced; optional garnish
Heat up the olive oil in a large skillet (that has a cover) on medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the beef that has been cut up for stew, and pan fry until the beef has been browned. You will want to stir often.
Add the water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer for around 1.5 hrs. Check it every so often and add water if necessary.
Now add the Mama Sita's Caldereta Spicy Sauce Mix, and potatoes and carrots. Stir well, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the green peas, green bell pepper, and olives. If you are using the liver spread and chilies, also add them at this time. Stir well, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve this deliciously rich and hearty Caldereta with some white rice, garnished with green onions if you like! It's a very good thing that this recipe makes a LOT of caldereta, because you will want seconds and leftovers the next day!