This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
One of my favorite spicy foods is Korean Spicy Bean Sprouts!
I honestly do not know when my taste buds turned toward spicy. My belief is that that some people just have a tendency toward highly spiced foods….and my husband and I are of this tendency.
This is a good thing for our marriage! So there is generally no fighting over whether to have spicy food or not. 🙂
Korean spicy bean sprouts can be considered banchan. I almost LOVE the banchan (Korean side dishes) more than I adore the main meal itself!
What Do You Need To Make Korean Bean Sprout Side Dish?
You must know how easy and simple and quick this is to make. Few ingredients = quick prep = delish = scrumptious Korean banchan!!!
The Korean Bean Sprout side dish, or kongnamul muchim, can be spicy or not spicy. Here we concentrate on the amazing delicious spicy version! Korean chili flakes (or hot pepper powder)! You can find this at your local Korean market, or you can order it here on Amazon. Lots of garlic! Sesame oil and sesame seeds! And…plenty of Thai fish sauce which adds to the scrumptious umami flavor!!!
All the ingredients (except for the bean sprouts and the green onions) are first combined. Then after blanching the bean sprouts in boiling water for a few minutes, the bean sprouts are added to the combined ingredients, gently mixed together and then green onions are added.
And then voila! You have your delicious Korean Spicy Bean Sprout banchan!
This is super delicious served with rice! It also makes the perfect accompaniment to any Korean main dish or as a side anytime you’d like something spicy.
Other Korean Banchan Recipes
Here are some other easy Korean banchan recipes which you may like to try!
Once you try making a couple of these you’ll realize just how easy to make and delicious they are!
If you’d like to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone please join me by signing up here. 🙂
Korean Spicy Bean Sprouts
- 1 lb bean sprouts rinsed and any black parts and long stems discarded
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Korean red pepper chili flakes (red pepper powder)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sesame seeds toasted
- 2 green onions sliced thinly
- 4 tsp fish sauce
- Boil water in a large saucepan. Add 1 ts salt, and then add your rinsed and picked over bean sprouts. Ensure the water covers the bean sprouts. Blanch for 2 minutes, and then drain and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile combine the minced garlic, red pepper flakes, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and fish sauce in a large bowl.
- After rinsing the sprouts in cold water, add to the bowl which contains the above combined ingredients. Mix gently, and then add the green onions and mix again.