This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
A few years ago we visited Belize, and I am spending a little time revisiting that trip by sharing some photographs, food memories, and Belizean recipes. Consequently, my hope is that you might be inspired to visit this amazing place! I also hope that you will cook up some Belizean food in your kitchen so that you can explore Belize from your kitchen table.
Belizean Stewed Beans
Stewed beans are one of the staples of Belizean cuisine and the beans are incredibly easy to make. However you just need to have a little patience to wait the 1.5 hrs before you can enjoy your first delicious bite of beans. 🙂 It seems in Belize many people enjoy beans 3 times a day, at every meal…they LOVE their stewed beans!
And I love them too. 🙂 So the ingredients are simple: dried red kidney beans (I used Camellia brand), onion, garlic, ham hock, bay leaves, olive oil, cilantro. I also added my new favorite seasoning, Goya Sazonador Total and salt to taste.
We have 3 in our household…me, my husband Steve, and Toby (doggie). I think it will take us 1.5 weeks to finish these beans! Also, I look forward to pairing them with some other Belizean foods, and I hope you might be inspired to cook up a batch yourself.
Delicious Belizean Comfort Food!
This is delicious comfort food at its best!! And you will have enough to feed an army! Serve as a side dish with any meal. Even better, add to rice for a fantastic rice and beans meal! Belizeans love their rice and beans, and this dish will also be beloved in your home. 🙂
I hope you will try making this delicious recipe! In addition, you may also enjoy this recipe for incredible oh so good Belizean Stewed Chicken:
If you absolutely love beans, you MUST try this recipe for Borracho Beans! A favorite in South Texas, these beans are simmered with beer. 🙂
Cheers! I would be grateful if you could share any comments below or feedback if you make this dish!! Enjoy!!
PS. Dave Ramsey people…this is for us!!!
Belizean Stewed Beans
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans I used Camellia brand – no overnight soaking required
- 1 onion diced
- 10 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ham hock or 2 small ham hocks
- 1 bunch cilantro diced
- 2 qt chicken broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp Sazonador Total by Goya, plus additional to taste
- salt to taste
- Heat olive oil on med high in a stockpot. Add minced garlic and onion, and constantly stir for around 3 minutes.
- Add beans, ham hock, Sazonador Total Seasoning, bay leaves, and chicken broth to the garlic and onion. Add only enough chicken broth to cover the beans by about 2 inches. If you don't have enough chicken broth, then add water.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to simmering for around 1.5 hrs. Check every so often to ensure that beans are not drying out…if drying out add a little more chicken broth or water so that the beans are always covered.
- After 1.5 hrs, check for tenderness. If tender, then add the cilantro and stir, then add salt to taste. If desired, add a little more of the Sazonador Total for additional delicious flavor.