This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about how to make Super Easy and Delicious Boudin Balls!
Billy's Boudin and Cracklins in Lafayette, LA
Our family discovered and fell in love with boudin during a trip to Layfayette, LA, in 2019. We kept seeing advertisements for a place called "Billy's Boudin and Cracklins" while driving and the advertisements worked! This mysterious thing called "boudin" must be discovered!
So we made our way to Billy's Boudin. I bought a couple of Boudin Balls, a Smoked Boudin Sandwich, and some Cracklins.
At that time, I still didn't know what Boudin was. All I knew was that after my first bite of the Boudin Ball and Smoked Boudin Sandwich, was that I was in HEAVEN!!!
So What Is Boudin?
Boudin is a Cajun speciality of Southern Louisiana. It's basically a mixture of pork, rice, and various seasonings, stuffed into a sausage casing. It's a beloved snack in this area and considered the ultimate finger food! There is also a Southwest Louisiana Boudin Trail that beckons with loads of stops that serve Boudin!
Boudin Balls Are A Great Way To Enjoy Boudin!
A great way to enjoy boudin is as part of a Boudin Ball! The balls that we had at Billy's were TO DIE FOR! As Billy's is about 7 hrs away from me, I'm thrilled to be able to make Boudin Balls at home to satisfy my craving for these, until I can get back to Billy's Boudin!
The Boudin Ball is simply boudin removed from its sausage casing and rolled into balls. Then they are breaded and deep fried to a perfect golden brown!
Let's make some Boudin Balls shall we? 🙂
What Do You Need To Make These Super Easy and Delicious Boudin Balls?
All you will need to make these Boudin Balls is the following:
- Boudin sausage
- Panko (or breadcrumbs)
- All purpose flour
- Your favorite Cajun seasoning! (I used Nunu's)
- Oil for deep frying (you can also shallow fry if you wish)
The Few Simple Steps To Follow To Boudin Ball Heaven!
It's super easy to make these using ready made Boudin Sausage! All you do is remove the sausage from their casings and then shape into balls.
You then dip each ball into flour, followed by an egg mixture consisting of beaten eggs and your Cajun seasoning. Lastly roll them in the panko (or breadcrumbs) and then fry!
Just look at the beautiful golden color of these Boudin Balls! Laissez les bons temps rouler!
How To Serve Boudin Balls!
These Boudin Balls are great as finger foods or a snack. It also makes a great appetizer or even a main meal (if you eat enough of them!).
I made a sauce to accompany these consisting of some mayo, minced garlic, and Tabasco. You can also just throw a few splashes of your favorite Tabasco sauce on these for extra flavor, or eat as is!
However you decide to serve them, enjoy this absolutely delicious gift from Southern Louisiana known as Boudin Balls!
Some Other Posts You May Enjoy!
If you'd like to come along on this food journey with me, please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 😃
Super Easy and Delicious Boudin Balls!
- Deep fryer (can shallow fry if preferred)
- 12 oz Boudin sausage ready made
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning I used Nunu's
- ½ cup panko can sub breadcrumbs
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- oil for deep frying (or shallow frying)
- Preheat your deep fryer to 350F.
- Remove the Boudin sausage from their casings. Shape into 8 small balls.
- Beat the eggs well in a small bowl and add Cajun seasoning. Stir until well combined.
- Add the flour to one shallow bowl, and the panko to a separate shallow bowl.
- Dip each ball into flour and coat completely. Dip in egg mixture, then allow excess egg to drip off. Finally dip into the panko and roll around to cover completely.
- Fry the boudin balls in oil heated to 350F for around 10 minutes, or until the outside breading is a nice golden brown. They are then ready to enjoy!