This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. Here is a recipe for Creamy and Dreamy Chicken Risotto!
Make The Creamiest And Dreamiest Chicken Risotto
Risotto lovers rejoice! Below you will find a recipe for the creamiest and dreamiest risotto, the classic Italian dish! This risotto does require some patience (lots of stirring!) and cook time at the stove. However, you will be rewarded with a RICH, CREAMY, CHEESY, and BUTTERY Chicken Risotto. This could be the Chicken Risotto of your dreams!! It's definitely one of my favorite dishes and is serious comfort food!
It Starts With The Rice - Kochani Rice!
A risotto starts with the rice. The rice used in risottos are short grain rices which are able to swell and absorb liquid. Most people are familiar with Italian Arborio rice, which is commonly used to make this amazing rice dish. However, please allow me to introduce you to Kochani Rice!
Kochani rice comes from Macedonia and the Balkan region in Europe. The climate there is suitable to produce the highest quality grains, such as Kochani rice. You can read about this amazing rice at BGoodFood.com, and also purchase it here at MezeHub.com.
I used this rice to make hands down the BEST risotto I've ever tasted! So, let's see what other ingredients you will need to gather to make an incredible and dreamy Chicken Risotto that your whole family will love!
What Ingredients Will I Need To Make This Chicken Risotto?
You will need the following ingredients to make this simple recipe:
- Risotto rice; Kochani rice is highly recommended!
- Cooked chicken (shredded or cut into small pieces)
- Chicken stock or chicken broth
- Shallot (can sub white onion)
- Garlic (can use garlic powder but fresh garlic is preferred)
- Italian parsley
- Parmesan cheese
- White wine
- Salt and Pepper
- Mushrooms - optional - stir in some sautéed mushrooms at the end to take this risotto to the next level!
You can use a rotisserie chicken bought from your local grocery store to make this easier. Simply remove some of the chicken and shred or cut into small pieces. If you have some chicken breasts or skinless chicken thighs, you can also cook those and then prepare for use the same way. This homemade risotto is also great for using up leftover chicken!
I like to include generous amounts of butter and lots of cheese (Parmesan please!) for extra creaminess.
This short list of ingredients (most of which you may already have ready to go!) is all you need for this delicious dish!
The Method To Make This Easy and Delicious Creamy Risotto
This creamy chicken risotto recipe epitomizes slow cooking. Creating this masterpiece in your kitchen is EASY, but as I mentioned at the beginning does require some patience because you will need to spend probably around 30 minutes cooking time stirring rice. BUT you WILL BE REWARDED! 😃
You will need a large skillet, large pot, or even Dutch oven for this recipe.
Begin by sautéing some minced garlic and shallots in melted butter on a medium heat to medium-high heat. Next add the rice and stir until all of the grains are coated with butter.
At that point, add some white wine to deglaze, and then begin adding ½ cup of stock at a time, stirring all the while. Once the stock you have added has been absorbed, then add some more until that has been absorbed, and so forth and so on. I like to start seasoning with some salt and pepper after about 2 cups of stock. After 2 cups have been added, with each additional ½ cup add a pinch of salt and pepper. Don't forget to keep stirring. 😄
You are finished adding stock once the rice cannot absorb any more stock and you have a risotto with a creamy texture and right consistency. At this point take a bite of some of the rice and determine if it is al dente. Al dente means that it should be soft but still be a little firm when bitten. This is what we are aiming for!
Then it's time to add the Parmesan, Italian parsley, and all of the chicken.
The final steps are to add more butter, taste, and adjust for seasoning. If you are adding some cooked mushrooms stir them in now.
Behold your beautiful and creamy rice!
Your extravagant and luxurious dish is now ready to serve!
The Perfect Finishing Touches
Additional Italian parsley and Parmesan and the perfect finishing touches to your Chicken Risotto. I do recommend freshly grated Parmesan if you have it. For a complete meal, serve this amazing dish with an arugula salad and glass of Pinot Grigio and you will be in Chicken Risotto heaven!
Your entire family may desire seconds, so you may want to consider doubling the recipe!
If you enjoyed this recipe, we would be grateful if you could comment and give us a star rating below!
Some Other Dishes You May Enjoy!
If you'd like to come along on this food journey with me, please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 😊
Creamy and Dreamy Chicken Risotto
- 1 Large skillet can also use a large pot or Dutch oven
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded or cut into small pieces
- 1.5 cups risotto rice I highly recommend Kochani rice! It's awesome!
- 5 cups chicken stock use a good quality stock; it make take a little more or less stock than 5 cups for you
- 6 tablespoon butter split
- 2 shallots minced (could sub 1 small white onion minced)
- 2 tablespoon garlic minced (can sub garlic powder to your taste)
- ¼ cup Italian parsley plus additional for garnish
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for garnish; freshly grated is highly recommended
- ½ cup white wine
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- mushrooms stir in some sautéed mushrooms at the end to take this to the next level!
- Melt 3 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet on medium to medium high heat. Then add some minced garlic and shallots and sauté around 3 minutes.
- Next add the rice and stir until all of the grains are coated with butter. Stir for around 1 minute.
- Still on medium to medium high heat, add the white wine to deglaze. Stir until the wine is mostly absorbed. On a medium heat, then begin adding ½ cup of stock at a time, stirring all the while. Once the stock you have added has been absorbed, then add some more until that has been absorbed, and so forth and so on. I like to start seasoning with some salt and pepper after about 2 cups of stock. After 2 cups have been added, with each additional ½ cup add a pinch of salt and pepper. It took 5 cups of chicken stock to make my dish...your dish may require a little more or a little less. Don't forget to keep stirring.
- You are finished adding stock once the rice cannot absorb any more stock and you have a nice and creamy dish. Reduce to medium low heat. Now it's time to add the Parmesan, Italian parsley, and all of the chicken. Stir to combine and heat through.
- The final steps are to add the remaining 3 tablespoon butter, taste, and adjust for seasoning. If you are adding some cooked mushrooms stir them in now.
- Serve your Creamy and Dreamy Chicken Risotto with additional Italian parsley and more freshly grated Parmesan!