This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about how to make an Easy Guacamole With Sour Cream and Tomatillos!
Most people are familiar with the delicious Mexican dip called guacamole! Traditionally it consists of avocado, lime juice, onion, chilies, cilantro, salt and pepper. This version is SO DELICIOUS!
Here I want to share with you another version which is equally yummy! Guacamole with sour cream and tomatillos!
Why You Need To Try This!
I truly believe you need to make this variation on the traditional guacamole because:
- It's easy and delicious!
- Sour cream is always welcome!
- The taste is so very tangy and creamy!
- This version includes roasted tomatillo and serrano which add an extra layer of depth to this dip!
- It's so fun to try a new variation on the customary guac we are used to!
- You will enjoy this version which is inspired by the guac made in the Zacatecas region of Mexico, as mentioned in the book, 1,000 Foods To Eat Before You Die!
1,000 FOODS TO EAT BEFORE YOU DIE
I am working my way through the foods that are listed in the book 1,000 Foods to Eat Before You Die by Mimi Sheraton. This is called my 1,000 Foods to Eat Project. Guacamole was food #12 on my quest to prepare and eat each of the foods listed in the book. Ms. Sheraton describes a guacamole which is made with tomatillos and sour cream in the North-Central Zacatecas region of Mexico. It was exciting to me to read about this variation on the traditional guacamole, so I knew I had to try it!
Ingredients You Will Need To Make This Guacamole
You will need the following ingredients to make this delicious "avocado sauce," which is what the word "guacamole" actually means!
- Avocado - recommendation is to use Hass, which is THE BEST type to use for guacamole!
- Sour Cream
- Olive oil
- Serrano pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
The combination of these ingredients is just heavenly! So once you have gathered all your ingredients let's make this guac!
Here Are The Easy Instructions!
This delicious Mexican dip is super easy to make! Start by roasting seasoned and sliced tomatillo and serrano pepper until softened.
Now add the roasted tomatillo and serrano to a bowl, or molcajete if you have one! (A molcajete is the Mexican version of a mortar.) Then add the avocado, and mash away!
The last step is to add sour cream, lime juice, onions, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.
Combine and your Zacatecas style Guacamole With Sour Cream with Tomatillos is ready to enjoy!
What To Eat With This Mexican Creamy Dip!
Eat this guacamole with chips, tacos, tostadas, chalupas, salad, toast. etc. etc. On its own or a dip for veggies it is amazing!
I do hope you will try this soon!
Some Other Mexican Recipes You May Enjoy!
Join Me On A Fun Food Journey!
Sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 😊
Easy Guacamole With Sour Cream And Tomatillos!
- molcajete nice to use one if you have it! But optional of course 😊
- 1 large avocado use Hass if you can; sub 2 small/mini avocados for one large
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1-2 tomatillos sliced or cut up into small pieces
- 1 serrano pepper cut into small pieces
- ½ lime juice from ½ of a lime
- 2 tablespoon cilantro torn into small pieces or chopped; can stir it all in or reserve some for garnish
- ¼ cup onion minced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 ts olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 400F. Add sliced/cut up tomatillos and serrano to an ovenproof baking pan. Drizzle the olive oil and add a pinch of both salt and pepper. Roast in your oven for around 15 minutes or until the tomatillos and serrano have softened. Remove from your oven and allow to cool (should take around 10 minutes).
- Now add the roasted tomatillo and serrano to a bowl, or molcajete if you have one! (A molcajete is the Mexican version of a mortar.) Then add the avocado(s), and mash away!
- The last step is to add sour cream, lime juice, onions, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir to combine well and your Zacatecas style Guac with Sour Cream and Tomatillos is ready to enjoy!