This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about an Easy Italian Mushroom Salad Recipe which you will just love!
Are you a mushroom lover like I am? If so, you've GOT TO TRY this amazing mushroom recipe, made with fresh mushrooms!
I discovered Mushroom Salad, which I have fallen in love with, in a gem of a book called 365 Easy Italian Recipes by Rick Marzullo O'Connell. I've adapted this no cook mushroom recipe you find here from Mr. O'Connell's book and am so excited to share this with you!
What Is Italian Mushroom Salad?
Italian mushroom salad is a brilliant antipasto made with raw mushrooms coated with a light dressing of lemon juice and olive oil.
Antipasto, which translates to "before the pasta," is similar to an appetizer, or is considered the first course of an Italian meal.
They are like tidbits served to stimulate or whet your appetite for what is to come.
This dish is a cold mushroom salad and has an earthy taste to it. It is garnished with fresh herbs and garlic.
So let me tell you what ingredients you will need to make this super easy salad, which is ready in 10 minutes!
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this salad. All the ingredients are easily found at your local grocery store. The ingredients you will need are:
- Fresh white button mushrooms - slice these as thinly as you can for best results
- Fresh garlic
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh oregano
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
Fresh herbs elevate this Italian dish into something very special. And I love a bit of extra spice, so have included some red pepper flakes. However, if you prefer to leave them out it's perfectly fine. 😊
I didn't include Parmesan cheese in my recipe, however some grated Parmesan cheese sprinkled over this salad would be divine!
All you need to do to prepare this dish is rinse and clean, and then thinly slice the mushrooms. I recommend slicing them as thin as possible as they become almost ethereal when sliced this way. Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, except for the mushrooms, and stir to combine.
Then add the mushrooms and toss to coat.
Taste and add additional salt, pepper, and/or red pepper flakes if desired.
If you have some Parmesan cheese sprinkle some over the salad for extra deliciousness!
How To Serve This Italian Mushroom Salad
This raw mushroom salad is ready to enjoy immediately. However, you can also refrigerate it in an airtight container and allow the mushroom salad to marinate for a few hours. During this time, the mushrooms will give off some delicious juices.
So this Italian mushroom salad can be served as an antipasto, or as Mr. O'Connell suggests, served with grilled meats or over steak.
I personally like to serve it as part of a green salad, to which I like to drizzle some of the juices from the mushroom salad over.
I hope you will partake of the delights of this Italian Mushroom Salad soon! Buon appetito!
Store this mushroom salad in an airtight container in your refrigerator, and consume within 2-3 days.
Most store bought mushrooms can be eaten raw and do not have to be cooked. An exception is the shiitake mushroom. Please note I am not referring to mushrooms picked while foraging in the wild.
White button mushrooms, on the smallish side, are the best mushrooms to use for this dish.
Some Other Recipes You May Enjoy!
Here are some other recipes which you may enjoy:
- Easy Sautéed Rapini Recipe
- Shrimp Scampi Recipe Without Wine
- The BEST Linguine With Pink Shrimp Sauce
Join Me On A Fun Food Journey!
I invite you to come along on this food journey with me! Please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here.
Easy Italian Mushroom Salad Recipe
- 8 oz mushrooms select whole white mushrooms for use in this recipe and slice them thinly
- 2 cloves garlic minced; can adjust the amount to your tastes
- 2 tablespoon parsley minced; I used fresh Italian parsley
- ½ tablespoon oregano minced; I used fresh oregano
- 2.5 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ ts salt plus additional to taste
- ¼ ts pepper plus additional to taste
- ¼ ts red pepper flakes plus additional to taste
- Parmesan cheese optional, to taste
- Rinse and thinly slice the mushrooms. Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, except for the mushrooms, and stir to combine. Then add the mushrooms and toss to coat.
- Taste and add additional salt, pepper, and/or red pepper flakes if desired. Buon appetito! If you have some Parmesan cheese sprinkle some over the salad for extra deliciousness!