This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about how to make the delicious Korean Potato Side dish!
Kim’s Galbi Restaurant Korean Potato Side Dish
There is a restaurant in San Antonio where I live called Kim’s Galbi, aka the Lighthouse Restaurant. 🙂
I love visiting this restaurant with my mother. We often went for lunch, and were always treated to the MOST DELICIOUS banchan. Banchan are the side dishes that are served to accompany Korean meals.
Pictured above are some of the banchan that Kim’s Galbi offered us at lunch one day. Bottom right you will see a Korean Braised Potato Side Dish, or Gamja Jorim. This was the first time I was introduced to Gamja Jorim, and I fell in love at first bite!
I absolutely had to learn how to make this at home, because I want to be able to duplicate this amazing dish without the restaurant cost. Mine turned out slightly different…but that’s ok as they turned out GREAT!
Ingredients Required For Korean Potato Side Dish
Few ingredients are required to make this delicious Korean Potato Side Dish! All you will need are:
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Potatoes (recommend you use white potatoes)
- Olive oil
- Green onion (for garnish)
- Sesame seeds (for garnish)
The Method To Make This Delicious Potato Side Dish
The method to make this yummy side dish couldn’t be easier! You don’t even have to peel the potatoes!
Firstly, after cutting up the potatoes into bite sized pieces, you will prepare the braising sauce., and get your garnishes ready!
The braising sauce consists of: minced garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, and water. Isn’t it beautiful?
Secondly, you simply stir fry the cut up potatoes in olive oil for a few minutes to get them nicely browned on the outside…
Finally add your braising sauce! Be sure to enjoy the aroma and get ready to garnish soon!
How To Serve Korean Potato Side Dish
The best way to enjoy this side dish is either cold or at room temperature. You may also enjoy it hot, however, the flavors seem to be much bolder once the dish has cooled down.
Garnish with some green onions and sesame seeds, and serve to accompany your favorite Korean meal!
Some Other Dishes You May Enjoy!
If you’d like to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone please join me by signing up here. 🙂
Korean Potato Side Dish
- Skillet with a cover
- 1 lb potatoes white or red potatoes are preferred
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ts sesame oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup water add more if needed
- sesame seeds garnish
- 1 green onion sliced as garnish (optional)
- Rinse and dry potatoes. Cut into small bite sized pieces..you don't have to peel these!
- Mince garlic and slice green onion (if using for garnish). Set aside.
- Prepare your braising sauce by combining the water, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, and honey and set aside.
- Heat up the olive oil in a skillet on med high. Once shimmering, add the potatoes and stir constantly until they are nicely browned (approximately 5 minutes or so, depending on type of potato and size of cut potato).
- Turn the heat down to med-low to medium, and add the braising sauce. Stir, then cover and allow to cook for around 5 minutes or so. The time will vary depending on the size and type of potato. If it is getting dry, add water a little at a time. You are aiming for the potatoes to be fork tender.
- Remove from the skillet and allow to cool. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions. Enjoy!