You will always have a feast for your eyes when dining in a Korean restaurant. I am always filled with anticipation to see what banchan, or Korean side dishes, are brought out to accompany the meal I’ve just ordered.
I almost enjoy eating the banchan more than the main course. 🙂
Banchan are spectacularly beautiful. They are a feast for your eyes, as well as your palate. Many are typical: various types of kimchi, spinach side dish, potato side dish, radish, etc. You never know what side dishes you will be served! One side dish that I’m always excited to see is the Korean zucchini side dish, or Hobak Namul.
Hobak Namul – Korean Zucchini Side Dish
Let me introduce you to hobak namul. “Hobak” means zucchini, and “namul” means vegetable side dish. This dish is best made with Korean zucchini, however North American zucchini (which I used) is fine to use as well, and just as delicious!
Korean zucchini, or aehobak, differs from the North American zucchini in that that flesh is more delicate and has thinner or smoother skin.
Very few ingredients are needed, and the hobak namul is so easy and quick to prepare. You will need your zucchini, some garlic, green onions, sesame oil, fish sauce, and Korean red pepper flakes and just a few minutes of your time and voila! Your hobak namul will be ready to eat in no time. 🙂
Serve this delicious banchan as part of a Korean meal, with rice, or anytime you desire something to spice up your meal!
Korean Zucchini Side Dish (Hobak Namul)
- 1 zucchini either Korean or North American variety
- 1 green onion sliced finely
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp Korean red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cut the ends off your zucchini. Slice in half lengthwise, and then cut into discs as shown in the image. Place in a colander or bowl and sprinkle 1/2 ts of salt over the zucchini. Leave for 10 minutes, and then wipe off the water using paper towels (and squeeze the zucchini a bit to remove some of the water as well).
- Heat up your sesame oil (med high heat) on a skillet. Add the zucchini, and stir fry for around 3 min to soften.
- Add the garlic, green onion, fish sauce, and red pepper flakes, and stir fry an additional minute.
- Remove from the heat, and allow to cool.