This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about absolutely SCRUMPTIOUS Indian Butter Chicken!
I’m SUPER EXCITED to share one of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE recipes with you!
The Origin of Indian Butter Chicken (Chicken Makhani)
Indian Butter Chicken, otherwise known as Chicken Makhani, is basically chicken simmered in a mildly spiced tomato sauce. From Wikipedia I read that it was created in 1947 by 3 chefs from the Punjab who were the founders of Moti Mahal Restaurant in Delhi. Apparently they created it by chance by mixing some leftover chicken with a sauce that was rich with tomato, butter, and cream.
I can just imagine they shouted “EUREKA!” once they tasted their creation! Most certainly they knew they created a dish that would eventually become loved by so many around the world.
What Ingredients Do You Need To Create Indian Butter Chicken?
Relatively few ingredients are required for this most delicious of dishes. You will need ginger, garlic, shallot, onion, lemon juice, tomato sauce, heavy cream, yogurt, and of course chicken and butter.
The spices you will need include garam masala, cayenne pepper, chili powder and salt. I normally buy Whole Garam Masala and grind it just prior to using. However, you can certainly use the powder form.
Garam masala is an incredible mix of spices. It typically includes cumin, coriander, cardamom, bay leaves, star anise, cloves, and nutmeg. There are certainly variations and seemingly endless varieties of types of garam masala. They have one thing in common: they are supremely aromatic! Please take the time to inhale the scent of this spice mix when you make this dish.
Why Should You Make Indian Butter Chicken?
Why should you make Indian Butter Chicken? Because it is creamy, buttery, tomatoey and tangy with loads of highly aromatic and delicious spices..you cannot go wrong with this dish!
It is also super simple to make! There is some prep required to get the shallot, onion, garlic, and ginger ready to go, but other than that it cooks up really quickly. In a matter of a few minutes you can have an Indian Butter Chicken which tastes as good as what you can order at your local Indian restaurant!
By the way, I also read that it is used as a pie filling in New Zealand and Australia! Sounds pretty yummy to me. 🙂 Serve with naan or basmati rice for an amazing meal!
Are you ready to try this? Please enjoy this recipe and let me know how it turns out!
Other Dishes You May Enjoy!
Please sign up to get the latest recipes and culinary inspiration! Join me by signing up here. 🙂
Indian Butter Chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken tenders or chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 1/2 onion minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp butter split (3 tbsp + 1 tbsp)
- 1/2 cup yogurt either Greek or natural yogurt (plain)
- 2 ts lemon juice
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper can reduce or leave out if you prefer a less spicy version
- lemon, cilantro, red onion slices, green onions optional garnishes
- Mince the garlic, ginger, onion, and shallot. Easiest if done using a food processor if you have one.
- Heat the olive oil to medium high in a large skillet (skillet should have a lid so you can cover it). Add the minced garlic, ginger, onion, and shallot and stir fry for a minute stirring constantly.
- Add the cayenne (if using), garam masala, chili powder, lemon juice, and 3 tbsps of the butter. Stir constantly for one minute incorporating all the spices and melting the butter.
- Turn down the heat to medium, then add the chicken and the tomato sauce. Stir well, and then leave to simmer for 5-7 minutes. The chicken should be pretty much cooked through at this point. If you see that it is not, leave to cook a little while longer. Stir occasionally.
- Now turn the heat down to medium low. Add the cream and yogurt and stir. Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Remove the lid, and then stir in the last remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Enjoy this dish cooked with love for your family!