This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about how to make delicious Cajun Smothered Chicken!
Louisiana Food = DELICIOUSNESS DEFINED!
We took a trip to Lafayette, Louisiana a few years ago. Lafayette is a beautiful place and delicious food is everywhere to be found!
The Cajun and Creole cuisines of Louisiana are generally considered to be some of the finest examples of regional cooking in the United States. Think gumbo, jambalaya, and étouffée...is your mouth already watering? 🙂
I've been remembering that trip and have been inspired to delve more into Cajun and Creole Cuisine. I was super excited to come across a dish called Cajun Smothered Chicken, which is not as well known as the aforementioned dishes. However, it is incredibly delicious and easy to make, and deserves a place at everyone's table!
What is Smothering?
Cajun Smothered Chicken involves using a cooking technique called "smothering." Smothering is very similar to braising. Basically this is a one pot dish that is cooked covered over a low heat for an hour or so with some chicken broth. The meat is cooked for this extended amount of time which results in perfectly tender chicken. You will also create a delicious gravy! You will absolutely smother the chicken and rice (typically served with smothered chicken) with this gravy!
The smothering technique also involves browning the chicken, which has been dusted with flour. The flour helps to thicken the gravy. I'm telling you this GRAVY IS SO SO GOOD!
What Ingredients Will I Need To Make This Cajun Dish?
Cajun Smothered Chicken is so easy to make with easy to come by ingredients, which is a feature of Cajun cooking.
You will need the following:
- Bone in skin on chicken thighs
- All purpose flour
- Olive oil
- Chicken broth
- Green bell pepper
- Your favorite Cajun seasoning
- Bay leaf
Celery, onion, and green bell pepper are referred to as "The Holy Trinity" in Cajun and Creole cooking. These ingredients are indispensable in many Cajun and Creole dishes such as gumbo and jambalaya.
You may already have most of these ingredients in your refrigerator and pantry. So what are we waiting for? Let's make some Cajun Smothered Chicken!
The Method To Make Cajun Smothered Chicken!
One pot dishes are also characteristic of Cajun cuisine. So, in addition to being easy to make, this also boasts easy clean up. 😊
I recommend using a cast iron pan (with cover), which distributes heat better.
Start by seasoning your chicken with your favorite Cajun seasoning and then dusting the chicken with flour.
Next heat up some olive oil in your pan on a med high heat, and brown the chicken on both sides. It should only take around 1-2 minutes for each side.
You will need to prep your Holy Trinity (everything should be diced) and have some minced garlic ready. Add the Holy Trinity, garlic, bay leaf, and chicken broth to the pan.
Stir everything around, cover, and cook for approximately one hour. Check it every 20 minutes or so and stir during these checks. Add a little additional broth if you feel like there is not enough gravy. At the end of the hour, you will have a rich delicious gravy with tender chicken thighs beckoning to be enjoyed!
How To Serve Cajun Smothered Chicken!
Enjoy your Cajun Smothered Chicken served with hot white rice! Spoon your mouthwatering gravy which is replete with tender bits of the Trinity, on top of your Cajun Chicken and rice. I also like to add some splashes of Tabasco, another taste of Louisiana! My favorite is Tabasco Scorpion Sauce, but feel free to add your favorite hot sauce if you like!
This dish pairs well with another smothered dish...Cajun Smothered Cabbage!
Cajun Smothered Chicken is easy to make, budget friendly, and absolutely delicious! So, I hope you will take some time to enjoy this delicious taste of Louisiana soon!
This dish is inspired by and adapted from a recipe from Rouse's Cajun Issue Magazine.
Some Other Foods You May Enjoy!
If you'd like to come along on this food journey with me, please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 🙂
Delicious Cajun Smothered Chicken!
- Covered Cast Iron Pan
- 2 lb chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup chicken broth plus additional if needed
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 8 cloves garlic minced (use more or less to suit your tastes)
- ½ tablespoon Cajun seasoning add additional at the end of cooking to taste
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Season your chicken with the Cajun seasoning. Then dust each piece with flour and shake off any excess.
- Prep your veggies: dice the onion, green bell pepper, and celery. Mince the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron pan (preferably) on med high. Once the pan is very hot, add the chicken and brown on both sides. It should only take 1-2 minutes on each side to brown the chicken.
- Then add the bay leaf, diced onion, green bell pepper, celery, garlic, and chicken broth to the pan. Stir everything around, cover, turn down the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Check and stir every 20 minutes or so and add a tiny bit of additional broth if you feel there is not enough gravy.
- After the hour, taste and adjust the seasoning by adding salt, pepper, and additional Cajun seasoning to your tastes.
- Bon appetit!!