This page may contain affiliate links. So, I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about an Easy Cheesy Creamy Low Sugar Coleslaw Recipe!
Sugar has its place, but it doesn't belong in coleslaw in my humble opinion. 😊
I love a savory coleslaw. One that is also creamy and has a lot of tang. Oh...and if it's cheesy then so much the better.
Are you with me on this? Then you've come to the right place! Here you'll find a recipe for a coleslaw that has no added sugar and is creamy and absolutely delicious!
Or, you may desire a recipe for a low carb and low sugar coleslaw recipe as part of a keto diet.
Regular coleslaw recipes and store-bought coleslaw typically are very sweet and contain a lot of sugar. So let's make our own homemade savory coleslaw that we can enjoy and feel so good about!
Why You Will Adore This Recipe!
I know you will love this recipe for this coleslaw, which is the perfect side dish! Here are some of the reasons why:
- This tangy, creamy, and savory coleslaw has no added sugar. If you are trying to cut down on sugar, this is a great recipe to include in your repertoire.
- It includes CHEESE!
- You can enjoy this great side dish as part of a keto diet or low carb diet. This is a low carb coleslaw recipe with approximately 5 grams of carbs per serving (per the nutrition information in the recipe card below).
- This keto coleslaw recipe is budget friendly, easy to make, and so very enjoyable!
- There are only 3 grams of sugar per serving (per the nutrition information in the recipe card below). The sugar is naturally occurring sugars from the buttermilk.
So here are the simple ingredients that you will need to make this healthy coleslaw recipe:
- Shredded Cabbage - I used green cabbage, but you could also add or include some red cabbage for a beautiful mixture
- Shredded Carrot
- Mayonnaise - I used regular mayonnaise, but you could sub light mayo if you like
- Lemon juice
- White vinegar - could sub apple cider vinegar
- Black pepper
- Cheddar cheese
I like to shred my own cabbage and carrot. However, feel free to use a bag of coleslaw mix for ease of preparation and to save time.
You should be able to find all of these ingredients at your local grocery store.
Now let's roll up our sleeves and make this low sugar homemade coleslaw recipe!
Use a sharp knife to shred cabbage and carrot. You could also use your food processor with your shredding blade to shred the vegetables.
Or for ease of preparation you can use a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw mix that you can find at your grocery store.
Place all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine well.
Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste if you like. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to enjoy!
Please note: this cole slaw tastes better after storing for a few hours in the fridge, or overnight, so that the flavors can meld together.
Suggestions For Serving
Here are some ways to enjoy this creamy low sugar coleslaw:
- Serve this creamy keto coleslaw as an easy side dish to accompany all your favorite mains! I like to serve it with my Perfect Baby Back Ribs
- It's the perfect topping for your Pulled Pork Sandwiches!
- Add it as a topping to your hot dogs and hamburgers
I hope you will enjoy this delish savory coleslaw soon! Please leave a comment and a star rating to let others know what an awesome recipe this is!
If you would like to add a little sweetness to this coleslaw, you could opt for a sugar substitute such as monk fruit or Stevia. These are keto-friendly sweeteners which are good options for those on a keto diet.
Store your coleslaw in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This is best consumed in about 3-4 days.
Some Other Recipes You May Enjoy!
Here are some other cabbage recipes you may enjoy:
- Middle Eastern Style Cabbage Salad Recipe
- Healthy and Delicious Indian Spiced Cabbage
- How To Make Delicious Danish Red Cabbage
Join Me On A Fun Food Journey!
I invite you to come along on this food journey with me! Please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here.
Easy Cheesy Creamy Low Sugar Coleslaw Recipe
- 1 mixing bowl
- 8 oz cabbage shredded
- ⅓ cup carrot shredded
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar could sub apple cider vinegar
- ½ ts salt plus additional to taste
- ½ ts pepper plus additional to taste
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Use a sharp knife to shred cabbage and carrot. You could also use your food processor with your shredding blade to shred the vegetables. Or for ease of preparation you can use a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw mix that you can find at your grocery store.
- Place all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine well.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste if you like. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to enjoy!