This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. Here is a recipe for Scrumptious Banoffee Pie!
First allow me to start off by stating that this is my first dessert post! I am not really someone who eats many desserts. However, I decided to make this Banoffee Pie for a movie night and had SO MUCH FUN making it that I couldn't wait to post about it!
Not only was it fun to make, but it's TO DIE FOR delicious! So here we go!
Banoffee Pie Scene in Love Actually Was The Inspiration For This Post!
Recently we watched the film "Love Actually" for one of our movie nights. There is a scene where Juliet (played by Keira Knightly) offers Mark (played by Andrew Lincoln) a slice of Banoffee Pie. I decided that I would make a Banoffee Pie to accompany the film. 🙂
What is Banoffee Pie and Where Did it Come From?
There is a great article on Wikipedia about Banoffee Pie which goes into some detail about what this dessert is and the history of this dessert. But in a nutshell, "banoffee" is a portmanteau of banana and toffee. It also includes cream, and this absolute delight sits on top of a buttery biscuit base. Sometimes chocolate shavings, coffee, or vanilla are added.
This pie originated in England and was invented by the chef and owner of "The Hungry Monk Restaurant" in East Sussex, England. Click here if you would like to see "The Original Hungry Monk Banoffi Pie" recipe!
The Ingredients For Our Banoffee Pie
As mentioned, the core ingredients of Banoffee Pie are:
- Buttery biscuit base
The recipe I want to share with you here uses the same method to make the toffee as the original Hungry Monk recipe. However, my recipe will involve making a base using graham crackers and butter, rather than the original shortcrust type baked pastry made with flour, sugar, butter, and egg. This recipe will be a no bake recipe, and very easy to make. 🙂
Making The Toffee Is a BLAST!
So, would you believe you can make toffee out of a can of sweetened condensed milk? I didn't, until I tried it!
It takes a bit of time, but you WILL be rewarded with a most luscious and scrumptious toffee!
Setting a can of sweetened condensed milk in submerged water (at first boiling, then simmering) for 2.5 hrs will give you this toffee! Isn't the color GORGEOUS?! Trust me, it is also absolutely mouthwatering!
A couple of words of warning...be sure to let the can cool after removing it from the water before opening it! I let mine cool for about an hour before carefully opening the lid. Also, you MUST make sure the water is topped up! Never allow the can to be out of water. I used a deep large stock pot to make my toffee, and added a ton of water and this worked well for me. 🙂
Graham Cracker Crust
While the can of condensed milk is on the stove, we will make a graham cracker crust for our base. The easiest way to do this is to crush up graham crackers in your blender, and incorporate melted butter.
Then, press down firmly in a pie pan and there you have your graham cracker crust! You can use a measuring cup to help pack the crust down. Place this in your refrigerator until ready to use.
Making Whipped Cream
It's super easy to make whipped cream! All you need is some heavy cream and an electric mixer! Add ins will be sugar and some instant coffee. The original recipe from The Hungry Monk included coffee, so I'd like to pay homage to that recipe by including it here.
You'll beat or whip the heavy cream, sugar, and instant coffee on medium to high speed until peaks start to form. It may take around 3-5 minutes. Just take the time to dream about your first bite of Banoffee Pie while waiting for those peaks!!
Let's Layer Our Delicious Pie!
To assemble your pie, simply evenly pour the cooled toffee into your graham cracker crust and then top with sliced bananas.
Then, top with your pillowy soft whipped cream!
Some people like to add chocolate shavings on top...purely optional. I think I will do this next time. 🙂
Enjoy! But be careful! This is so tempting that you may find it disappears way too quickly!
Some Other Recipes You May Enjoy!
If you'd like to come along with me on a fun food journey, please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 😊
How To Make Scrumptious Banoffee Pie!
- 9" pie pan
- electric hand mixer
- 10 sheets graham crackers finely crushed
- 6 tablespoon butter melted
- 3 bananas sliced
- 1 can 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ts instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Submerge the can of sweetened condensed milk in a large and deep stock pot. Add plenty of water (never allow the can to be out of water). Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 2.5 hrs. Every so often check to make sure that the can is still submerged. If it's not, then top up with water. After 2.5 hrs, carefully remove the hot can using tongs and place on the side to cool. Allow to completely cool before opening! (Very important.)
Graham Cracker Crust
- Make the graham cracker crust by finely crushing the graham crackers. An easy way to do this is to add to your blender or food processor. Blend or process until you achieve fine crumbs. Add 6 tbsps of melted butter, and stir to completely incorporate.
- Press the crumb mixture down firmly into the pie pan. You can use a measuring cup to assist you in doing this! Once the crust is made, place in your refrigerator until ready to use.
Whipped Cream Topping
- Place heavy cream in a mixing bowl, and add sugar and instant coffee. Whip or beat using an electric hand mixer, until peaks form.
Assemble the Pie!
- Layer the cooled toffee onto the graham cracker crust. Top the toffee with sliced bananas, and then place the pillowy clouds of whipped cream on top of the bananas. Now tuck in!!