Honestly I don’t know many people who would state that Brussels Sprouts are their favorite vegetable, but I found someone recently on Instagram who told me that! And pan fried Brussels Sprouts are the absolute best!
What Are Brussels Sprouts?
Brussels sprouts are a member of the cabbage family. Don’t they look like little cabbages? 🙂 They have long been popular in Brussels, Belgium, and it may be this popularity that helped give these sprouts their name.
Please visit this Wikipedia link for more information on Brussels Sprouts.
I have to say maybe they are not my favorite veg, but I LOVE eating them every time I have them, so perhaps I should prepare them more often?
An AWESOME Way to Prepare Brussels Sprouts
My sister June normally hosts Thanksgiving meals at her home. I am so grateful for my sister. 🙂 She puts on the most delicious and beautiful Thanksgiving meals.
One of my contributions to the Thanksgiving feast is pan fried brussels sprouts.
I really have to say I am so very proud of these for two reasons.
Reason #1: a die hard carnivore told me that he was impressed by my brussels sprouts!
Reason #2: my sister’s mother-in-law Margie gave me the ultimate compliment this year by saying that she had enjoyed last year’s brussels sprouts and she hoped that I would bring them again. I did. 🙂
Pan Fried Brussels Sprouts
I have roasted brussels sprouts before. They are FAB, don’t get me wrong. However, pan frying the sprouts is a quicker way to get absolutely delicious tasting sprouts in less time.
This method involves pan frying the sprouts in a combination of melted butter and olive oil. They are cut in half and then fried cut side down for a bit until golden toasty brown, and then turned over and pan fried again until the other side is golden toasty brown.
These are simply seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.
Simple, quick, easy and delicious. What more do you want in a side?
Try these pan fried brussels sprouts at Thanksgiving or Christmas, or ideally when in season which is from September to mid-February.
Ready to give these a shot? I hope so! Enjoy this most delicious and amazing vegetable!!!
You may also enjoy this wonderful recipe for Roasted Broccoli With Parmesan! So good on its own or perhaps added to pasta!
Incredibly Delicious Brussels Sprouts
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 3 tbsp olive oil plus additional if needed
- 3 tbsp butter plus additional if needed
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- Wash your brussels sprouts and then cut in half (from top to stalk).
- Heat your frying pan (preferably cast iron!) to medium high heat. Add 3 tbsp each of olive oil and butter until butter is melted and mixture is hot.
- Add the sliced brussels sprouts cut side down and cook for approximately 5-7 minutes until browned. You'll want to check on them (turn over) periodically to make sure that they are not browning too much or burning.
- Once the cut side is browned, turn over and cook the other side for approximately 5-7 minutes. Again, turn over and check periodically to ensure that they are not over browning or burning.
- Toss everything together a bit, and then add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.