This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about a Pantry Mushroom Risotto!
The Pantry Challenge
I had heard about The Pantry Challenge a few months ago from a friend on Instagram. The Pantry Challenge is a time where you focus on using up what you have before buying any more food. The benefits are you will save time by not having to go out shopping, save money by not overbuying food, and be a better steward of the resources that you have! Every one of those benefits are definitely worth it!
Mushroom Risotto Is The Perfect Pantry Meal!
One of my favorite dishes is mushroom risotto. I had always made mushroom risotto with fresh mushrooms. But I wanted to give this Pantry Challenge a try, so I pulled out some chicken broth, arborio rice, olive oil, and canned mushrooms and I was ready to make my Pantry Mushroom Risotto!
Mushroom risotto is really the perfect pantry meal! Literally everything in this recipe comes from items that are canned, etc. and most likely items you may have in your pantry. All you need is arborio rice, canned mushrooms, chicken broth, olive oil, and seasonings that you have on hand.
Did I also mention that it is absolutely budget friendly? This meal cost less than $5.00 for 2 of us. 🙂
The Method For Making Pantry Mushroom Risotto
The method for making Pantry Mushroom Risotto couldn't be easier! It does take a little time to get all the rice to absorb the chicken broth, but it's absolutely worth it. You'll get a delicious and creamy Mushroom Risotto at the end to tuck in to!
After draining your canned mushrooms, you'll stir fry them in some olive oil and then add the arborio rice making sure to coat each grain in the oil.
After that, simply add ½ cup of chicken broth and heat and stir until the rice absorbs the broth. You will repeat this step, ½ cup broth at a time, until the arborio rice cannot absorb any more broth. Your mushroom risotto is now ready to be seasoned!
Seasoning Your Mushroom Risotto
I simply seasoned our Risotto with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and some dried parsley flakes. Even with these simple seasonings, the mushroom risotto was creamy and delicious!
If you are fortunate to have butter, parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, or a protein source such as chicken available, so much the better!
Why Make This Pantry Mushroom Risotto?
If you would like a comforting, satisfying, and creamy mushroom risotto, try this recipe out! It's delicious and oh so budget friendly.
Mushroom Risotto is really the perfect pantry meal which your whole family will love!
Other Recipes You May Enjoy!
Please sign up to get the latest recipes and culinary inspiration! Also come along with me on the 1,000 Foods to Eat Journey by signing up here. 🙂
Pantry Mushroom Risotto
- 1 can mushrooms 13-15 oz, drained
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-5 cups chicken broth you may need a little more or less chicken broth
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- parsley flakes dried, as garnish
- garlic powder to taste
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil in s large skillet on med high. Drain the mushrooms, then add the drained mushrooms to the olive oil and fry for around 3-5 minutes.
- Add the arborio rice, and stir for 1 minute, ensuring to coat the grains of rice with the olive oil.
- Turn the heat down to medium. Start adding chicken broth, ½ cup at a time, and stir until all the broth is absorbed by the rice. You may need approximately 4-5 cups of broth and approximately 40 minutes or so. Please enjoy this process!
- Once the rice has completely absorbed the broth, you are ready to season to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Garnish with some dried parsley flakes and enjoy!