This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about delicious Roasted Rutabaga and Carrots!
What is a Rutabaga?
What is a rutabaga you ask? It's a swede! What's a swede? 🙂
In North America we call this vegetable, which is a cross between cabbage and turnips, rutabaga. My husband knows it as a swede, which is what they call it in England, where he is from.
Wikipedia has a fascinating article on rutabaga's etymology, history, use in cuisine, and other uses which you can read here.
Rutabaga Pairs Perfectly With Carrots
Both rutabaga and carrots are root vegetables. They pair perfectly together when roasted.
Roasting brings out the best in these root vegetables. My favorite way to cook root vegetables is by roasting them. Roasting brings out the sweetness in both carrots and rutabagas. However, the rutabaga can be slightly bitter, but to me that's perfectly fine because I love bitter tasting foods!
Pairing these two root vegetables as part of your meal will give you a beautiful side dish...just look at the colors!
Additionally, both rutabagas and carrots have great health and nutritional benefits. You can read about the benefits of rutabaga at Healthline.com (just click on the link). Healthline.com also has a great article on the nutritional benefits of carrots. 🙂
How To Prepare Rutabaga and Carrots for Roasting
Preparing rutabaga and carrots for roasting couldn't be simpler. All you have to do is peel both vegetables, and then chop into bite sized pieces. The rutabaga can be tough to cut, so just be careful!
You will throw some olive oil onto the chopped up veggies, and then simply season with some salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
The chopped vegetables will need to be placed on a baking tray, and you'll want to space them out as much as possible. These will bake around 40 min in a 375F oven. You will also want to toss them around after 20 minutes to ensure even cooking.
The video below shows them coming out of the oven piping hot and looking scrumptious! Serve these delicious vegetables as a side dish to accompany your favorite. meal. 🙂
Some Other Recipes You May Enjoy!
Balsamic and Fennel Roasted Carnival Squash
Roasted Broccoli With Parmesan
If you'd like to come along on this food journey with me, please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 🙂
Roasted Rutabaga and Carrots
- 4 carrots (small) peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 rutabaga (small) peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ ts salt plus additional to taste
- ¼ ts pepper plus additional to taste
- ¼ ts garlic powder plus additional to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Place the peeled and chopped rutabaga and carrots in a large mixing bowl. Add the tablespoon of olive oil and stir to coat the vegetables. Add salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Mix well.
- Arrange the peeled and chopped rutabaga and carrots on a silicone mat or lightly oiled baking or roasting tray. Place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, take out the tray and toss the vegetables around a bit. This it to try to obtain even cooking. Return to roast for another 20 minutes.
- Remove and check that the vegetables are tender. The larger the size of the pieces of vegetables, the longer it will take to cook. My veggies took 40 minutes and they were cut bite sized. If they are not tender, place back in the oven for a few more minutes until tender.
Leave a Reply