Do you like Thai hot? Then you will LOOOOVE this recipe for Spicy Thai Chicken With Basil!
Thai cuisine is one of my absolute favorite cuisines in the world. The complex flavors and fresh ingredients captivate me. Fortunately, my husband loves Thai as well, but he likes his dishes “Thai hot.”
So what is “Thai hot?” Blazing, scorching heat! He seems to be able to take this kind of heat, and we’ve found that most of the Thai restaurants at which we have dined have been unable to deliver this Thai hot that he is asking for.
With the exception of ONE restaurant here in San Antonio that knows how to do Thai hot. 🙂 We were fortunate to find this awesome restaurant, and I wanted to try to replicate their Thai hot version of Spicy Thai Chicken With Basil at home. I believe I’ve been able to get close, and are sooo excited to share this recipe with you!
Thai Basil and Thai Chili
Thai chicken with basil is an extremely simple, easy, and quick to prepare meal. The basil that I refer to is Thai basil, which is an absolutely essential ingredient in this dish! The chilis will need to be Thai chili, which is also critical for this dish. I do not recommend using other types of chilis…please stick with Thai. 🙂
You’ll need to prep all your ingredients ahead of time, because this cooks up in a flash. Serve with jasmine rice, and you may want to have a glass of milk handy if the heat ends up being too much for you. 🙂
Having said all this, if you’d like this dish to be on the milder side, simply reduce the amount of Thai chilis, or leave out completely. Either way…this is still absolutely delicious!
To counteract all the heat, you may want to serve this with a delicious Thai cucumber salad.
Enjoy this taste of Thailand!
Spicy Thai Chicken With Basil
- 1/2 large onion sliced
- 1/2 red pepper sliced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 10 Thai chilis minced; use more for hotter, less for milder
- 1 bunch Thai basil
- 5 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 lb chicken breast sliced into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Set your stove to medium high, and heat up 2 tbsp olive oil until shimmering.
- Add minced garlic and Thai chilis, and continuously stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add sliced onion and red pepper, and continuously stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add sliced chicken and cook for 6 minutes or until cooked through, stirring often.
- Add fish sauce, stir, and then finish by adding your bunch of Thai basil and stir for around 30 seconds.