Thai cuisine is absolutely one of my favorites!! I can’t wait to visit Thailand one day and I’ll be happy just to eat my way around the country!
A dream of mine is to visit one of the floating markets in or around the Bangkok area, where vendors sell their wares on boats. I can imagine all the vibrant and colorful vegetables and fruits, all the aromas, and amazing food at every turn!
Thai Cucumber Sauce
What is in the Thai cucumber sauce? It is simply sugar, thai fish sauce, and rice wine vinegar.
There are 5 flavors to Thai food: sweet, sour, spicy, salty, and bitter. To get it just right, you try to find the right balance of flavors in the dishes, and the end result is complex and amazing. It is my understanding that you need at least 2 of these flavors in a Thai dish in order for it to taste right. And by the way…not every Thai dish is spicy. Try this simple recipe for Thai cucumber salad which is mild and absolutely delicious!
Thai Cucumber Salad
- 1 cucumber peeled in stripes (see photo)
- 1/4 onion sliced thinly
- 1 green onion cut on the bias
- 6 cherry tomatoes cut in half or thirds
- 2 ts sugar
- 2 tbsp thai fish sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Add all vegetables to a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the sugar, fish sauce, and rice wine vinegar.
- Add the sugar, fish sauce, and rice wine vinegar to the vegetables and mix well.
- Taste! You should be able to taste a mixture of sweet (sugar), salty (fish sauce), and sour (vinegar).