This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about light, delicious, and refreshing Thai Cucumber Salad.
Beat The Heat With This Refreshing Thai Cucumber Salad!
Thai cuisine is absolutely one of my favorites!! And one of my favorite Thai dishes is the Thai cucumber salad!
“Cool as a cucumber” is a well known phrase. It actually refers to being calm and composed rather than low in temperature. However the phrase comes from the cool traits of the cucumber!
Thai Cucumber Sauce
What is in the Thai cucumber sauce? It is simply sugar, fish sauce, and rice wine vinegar.
My favorite fish sauce is the Three Crabs Brand. I am including a link to Amazon for Three Crabs Brand Fish Sauce for convenience if you would like to try this. Or you can find this at your local Asian market.
There are 5 flavors to Thai food: sweet, sour, spicy, salty, and bitter. To get it just right, you try to find the right balance of flavors in the dishes, and the end result is complex and amazing. It is my understanding that you need at least 2 of these flavors in a Thai dish in order for it to taste right. And by the way…not every Thai dish is spicy. Try this simple recipe for Thai cucumber salad which is mild and absolutely delicious!
Other Thai Recipes You May Enjoy
You may also enjoy these recipes if you like Thai food!
Thai Cucumber Salad
- 1 cucumber peeled in stripes (see photo) and sliced thinly
- 1/4 onion sliced thinly
- 1 green onion cut on the bias
- 6 cherry tomatoes cut in half or thirds
- 2 ts sugar
- 2 tbsp thai fish sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Add all prepped vegetables to a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the sugar, fish sauce, and rice wine vinegar.
- Add the sugar, fish sauce, and rice wine vinegar to the vegetables and mix well.
- Taste! You should be able to taste a mixture of sweet (sugar), salty (fish sauce), and sour (vinegar).