This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about an easy and authentic Thai Cucumber Salad Recipe which makes a perfect side dish!
- A MUST Try Recipe!
- Beat The Heat With This Refreshing Authentic Thai Cucumber Salad!
- What Vegetables Are In This Cool Cucumber Salad?
- What Is In The Thai Cucumber Salad Dressing?
- A Mild (Not Spicy) Thai Dish!
- Frequently Asked Questions
- This Delicious Salad May Become One Of Your Favorite Recipes!
- Other Thai Recipes You May Enjoy
- Join Me On A Fun Food Journey!
- Thai Cucumber Salad
A MUST Try Recipe!
If you love food with BOLD and INCREDIBLE flavors, then you MUST make this authentic Thai salad recipe! This recipe is:
- Delicious! Just like you would enjoy at your favorite Thai restaurants!
- Super easy!
- Quick - only takes 10 minutes!
- Only requires 7 simple ingredients!
- The perfect accompaniment to your Thai favorite main dishes!
- Mild (not spicy) with AMAZING flavors!
Beat The Heat With This Refreshing Authentic Thai Cucumber Salad!
Thai cuisine is absolutely one of my favorites!! And one of my favorite Thai dishes is the Thai cucumber salad which is superb for summer months!
"Cool as a cucumber" is a well known phrase. It actually refers to being calm and composed rather than low in temperature. However the phrase comes from the cool traits of the cucumber! From the University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture: "This phrase may have originated from the fact that even in hot weather, the inside of cucumbers are approximately 20 degrees cooler than the outside air." Pretty cool!
This Thai Cucumber Salad is so refreshing and will definitely help you beat the heat! It is the perfect summer side dish!
What Vegetables Are In This Cool Cucumber Salad?
The vegetables in this salad include fresh cucumbers, green onions, onion, and cherry tomatoes.
Feel free to use yellow or red onion in this easy Thai cucumber salad recipe.
For visual appeal, it's super fun to peel the cucumber in stripes as pictured above. To prep the vegetables, slice the cucumber into thin slices. Then slice the onion, cut the green onion on the bias, and finally cut the cherry tomatoes into halves. Now you're ready to add the Thai Cucumber salad dressing!
What Is In The Thai Cucumber Salad Dressing?
The sauce is comprised of just 3 ingredients! They are:
My favorite fish sauce is the Three Crabs Brand. I am including a link to Amazon for Three Crabs Brand Fish Sauce for convenience if you would like to purchase on Amazon. Or you should be able to find this and the rice vinegar at your local grocery store or Asian market.
It's so easy to make this authentic Thai cucumber salad recipe!
Begin by adding the 2 teaspoons of sugar, 6 teaspoons of fish sauce, and 2 tablespoons of tangy rice vinegar to a small bowl. Next, add your prepped veggies to a large bowl.
Then simply combine the sliced cucumbers and other prepped veggies and the sauce and voila! Your Thai Cucumber Salad is ready in about 10 minutes!
A Mild (Not Spicy) Thai Dish!
Not every Thai dish is spicy! This simple recipe for Thai Cucumber Salad has a mild flavor and is absolutely delicious! No Thai chiles are required for this recipe!
There are 5 flavors of Thai cuisine: sweet, sour, spicy, salty, and bitter. To get it just right, you try to find the right balance of flavors in the dishes, and the end result is complex and amazing. It is my understanding that you need at least 2 of these flavors in a Thai dish in order for it to taste right. In this dish you will taste a bit of sour, some sweet, and also wonderful salt!
Frequently Asked Questions
Use regular or English cucumbers for this dish!
Yes! As soon as it's ready you can eat it. I do recommend giving it a couple of hours in the fridge for the flavors to infuse though if you have time!
This salad is best consumed within a day or two.
If you don't have rice vinegar, you could sub apple cider vinegar, seasoned rice vinegar, or white wine vinegar.
This Delicious Salad May Become One Of Your Favorite Recipes!
This authentic Thai cucumber salad may just become one of your favorites! Cool and crisp cucumbers with this fab Thai tangy dressing makes for such a great side dish!
Take it to your next potluck. I can guarantee that people will ask you for your Asian cucumber salad recipe!
Other Thai Recipes You May Enjoy
You may also enjoy these recipes if you like Thai food!
Join Me On A Fun Food Journey!
If you'd like to come along on this food journey with me, please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 😊
Thai Cucumber Salad
- 1 cucumber peeled in stripes (see photo) and sliced thinly
- ¼ yellow or red onion sliced thinly
- 1 green onion cut on the bias
- 6 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 2 ts white sugar
- 2 tablespoon thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Add all prepped vegetables to a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the sugar, fish sauce, and rice wine vinegar.
- Add the sugar, fish sauce, and rice wine vinegar to the vegetables and mix well.
- Taste! You should be able to taste a mixture of sweet (sugar), salty (fish sauce), and sour (vinegar).