At the time I write this, it is winter, and a large part of the mid West is suffering from extreme temperatures due to a Polar Vortex. Here in San Antonio we’ll be in the 50’s over the next couple of days. This is t-shirt weather compared to up North! I’m really praying that our neighbors in the mid West suffering through this weather stay safe and warm!! One soup that is guaranteed to warm you up anytime is this Spicy Broccoli and Cheddar Soup!
Cold winter days call for warming soups and stews. I’ve been cooking quite a few of these lately, and one of my favorites is also quite spicy, which ups the “warming” factor.
This Spicy Broccoli and Cheddar Soup is absolutely delicious at any time of year, but really hits the spot on a cold day. The addition of a few Thai chilis (use serrano or jalepeno if you prefer) along with some cayenne pepper, really gives this soup a kick.
Rich with nutritious broccoli, onion, carrots, and garlic, it is also good for you. However please allow for a little decadence by the addition of cream and lots of sharp cheddar as well.
Serve this soup with a healthy side salad, and some crusty bread. You’ll have a delicious, warming and absolutely satisfying meal.
Other Soups You May Enjoy!
You may also enjoy these other delicious soups!
The BEST Spicy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 3 Thai chilis use serrano or jalapeno if you prefer
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium sized broccoli crown cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 green onion sliced
- 1/4 ts salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 ts pepper plus more to taste
- 1/4 ts cayenne pepper plus more to taste
- 1/2 ts chicken bouillon I used Maggi
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4-6 oz sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut broccoli crown, peeled carrot, and onion into bite sized pieces. Keep the broccoli to the side.
- Throw your carrot, garlic, onion, and chilis into a food processor and process until finely diced
- Melt butter on med high heat in a large sauce pan
- Add your finely diced carrot, garlic, onion, and chilis, along with the broccoli, into the sauce pan once the butter has melted
- Saute for 7-10 minutes (or until vegetables are softened) over the med high heat, stirring often
- Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, cayenne, and Maggi seasonings, stir, and bring to the boil
- Lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes
- Stir in the heavy cream, and then add the cheddar and allow to melt
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary
- Garnish with a few more shreds of cheddar, and green onions