At the time I write this, it is winter, and a large part of the mid West is suffering from extreme temperatures due to a Polar Vortex. Here in San Antonio we'll be in the 50's over the next couple of days. This is t-shirt weather compared to up North! I'm really praying that our neighbors in the mid West suffering through this weather stay safe and warm!! One soup that is guaranteed to warm you up anytime is this Spicy Broccoli and Cheddar Soup!
Cold winter days call for warming soups and stews. I've been cooking quite a few of these lately, and one of my favorites is also quite spicy, which ups the "warming" factor.
Why You Will Want To Make This Soup!
This Spicy Broccoli and Cheddar Soup is absolutely delicious at any time of year, but really hits the spot on a cold day. The addition of a few Thai chilis (use serrano or jalepeno if you prefer) along with some cayenne pepper, really gives this soup a kick.
Rich with nutritious broccoli, onion, carrots, and garlic, it is also good for you. However please allow for a little decadence by the addition of cream and lots of sharp cheddar as well. This results in a luscious cheesy flavor which you won't be able to get enough of!
So, let me tell you what ingredients you will need to make this delicious soup!
You will need the following simple ingredients to make this dish:
- Thai chilis (you can sub serrano or jalapeno if you prefer)
- Fresh broccoli crown
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Chicken bouillon (I used Maggi)
- Chicken broth or chicken stock (can sub vegetable broth to make this a vegetarian soup)
- Heavy cream
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Green onion (as garnish)
Once you've gathered your ingredients, be happy that you are only about 35 minutes away from enjoying a bowl of this delectable creamy soup!
This soup is SOUPER easy to create! (Please forgive the pun.)
Begin by cutting the peeled carrot and onion into bite sized pieces and the broccoli crown into broccoli florets. Keep the broccoli to the side.
Throw your carrot, garlic, onion, and chilis into a food processor and process until finely minced.
Melt butter on med high heat in a large pot, and then add your finely minced carrot, garlic, onion, and chilis, along with the broccoli florets, into the sauce pan once the butter has melted. Saute for 7-10 minutes (or until vegetables are softened) over the med high heat, stirring often.
Now add chicken broth (or vegetable broth), salt, pepper, cayenne, and Maggi seasonings, stir, and bring to the boil. Lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in the heavy cream, and then add the cheddar and allow to melt. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
This recipe does not call for use of an immersion blender, but if you want you can use one to blend the soup to your liking.
Yay! Now it's time to grab some beautiful soup bowls and fill with this delectable spicy cheesy soup!
How To Serve This Spicy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
I recommend adding some additional shredded cheddar to the soup, along with sliced green onions as garnish.
Serve this spicy, cheesy, and creamy soup with a healthy side salad, and some crusty bread. You'll have a delicious, warming and absolutely satisfying meal.
I hope that this will become your favorite way to make broccoli cheddar soup!
You'll want to store any leftover soup in an airtight container and place it in your refrigerator.
You can make this vegetarian by subbing vegetable broth for the chicken stock or chicken broth. You may also want to omit the chicken bouillon as well.
Other Soups You May Enjoy!
You may also enjoy these other delicious soups:
If you'd like to come along with me on a fun food journey, please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 🙂
The BEST Spicy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 Food Processor makes mincing the carrot, onion, and garlic fast and easy
- 1 large pot for cooking the soup
- 3 Thai chilis use serrano or jalapeno if you prefer
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium sized broccoli crown cut into florets and bite sized pieces
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 green onion sliced as garnish
- ¼ ts salt plus more to taste
- ¼ ts pepper plus more to taste
- ¼ ts cayenne pepper plus more to taste
- ½ ts chicken bouillon I used Maggi
- 2 cups chicken broth or chicken stock can sub vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 4-6 oz sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut peeled carrot and onion into bite sized pieces and the broccoli into florets. Keep the broccoli to the side.
- Throw your carrot, garlic, onion, and chilis into a food processor and process until finely minced.
- Melt butter on med high heat in a large sauce pan
- Add your finely minced carrot, garlic, onion, and chilis, along with the broccoli florets, into the sauce pan once the butter has melted. Saute for 7-10 minutes (or until vegetables are softened) over the med high heat, stirring often.
- Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, cayenne, and Maggi seasonings, stir, and bring to the boil. Lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream, and then add the cheddar and allow to melt. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve and enjoy garnished with a few more shreds of cheddar, and green onions!