It seems that potato (tater) tots are to Utah, what nachos are to Mexico. Utah loves its tots! And a great tot meal is Tatchos Potato Tots!
For one of our Sunday movie nights, we watched a film called Hereditary. This film is a tense and dark thriller with quite a surprise ending. On movie nights, I cook a meal for that evening that has something to do with the film we are watching. The inspiration for the meal is usually the setting of the movie, or food actually eaten or highlighted in the film.
The beautiful state of Utah is the setting for Hereditary, and is where it was filmed. Therefore, I decided to make my own version of Tatchos when I discovered that Utah was the setting. Tatchos are a featured item at Drafts Burger Bar, located in Park City, Utah. Their menu lists Tatchos as comprised of tater tots, smoked gouda cheese sauce, bacon, tomato, green onions, and sour cream.
Cheese and Tots!!!
I decided to top the tots with a cheddar cheese sauce instead of the gouda cheese sauce, so cheddar cheese fans rejoice! However, you may also like to use your favorite queso which is perfectly acceptable and delicious!
I used Ore-Ida Extra Crispy tots for this dish. Tots were actually created by the founders of Ore-Ida, and that it was first sold in stores in 1956.
A fun bit of trivia about tots (from Wikipedia) is that today Americans consume 3,710,000,000 tots per year. Most of these must be eaten in Utah. 🙂
This meal was soooo good! It is colorful, simple, easy to prepare, and quite budget friendly as well. I hope you will give it a try.
Other Delicious Dishes You May Enjoy!
You may enjoy these other delicious recipes!
Please join my email list for more food inspiration and fun! Signing up is easy just click here. 🙂 I hope you’ll join me!
Utah Inspired Potato Tots – Tatchos
- 1 package tater tots I used Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Tots
- 6 slices bacon cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/3 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 3 green onions sliced
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 1 Tillamook aged cheddar sauce starter
- 1 cup 2% milk for the cheese sauce
- Queso You may use queso rather than the Tillamook – makes prep much easier and will be delicious!
- Cook tots according to package directions.
- Fry your cut up bacon until crispy, and drain on paper towels.
- Prepare cheese sauce using the Tillamook aged cheddar sauce starter kit. You may also use queso instead of the Tillamook or make your own cheese sauce if you like!
- Place 1/4 of the cooked tots on your plate, and top with 1/4 each of the bacon, red onion, cherry tomatoes, green onions and cheese sauce. Top with 1 tbsp of sour cream
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients, to make up to 4 servings.