This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
My mother is Korean. Growing up I didn’t have the best appreciation for Korean food, but I certainly do now. Korean food is hands down one of my favorite cuisines, and I am excited to share some Korean recipes with you…starting with kimchi.
Kimchi is generally served as a side dish, or “banchan.” I confess that sometimes I am way more excited about the banchan than the main dish! Typically you will be served several types of banchan if you dine at a Korean restaurant. They are colorful, beautiful, varied, and delicious!
Last week, a lovely Korean gentleman gave me a BUNCH of wild green onions. I knew I was going to have to make pa kimchi as soon as I laid eyes on them.
Are You Looking For a Great Kimchi Recipe? Try Pa Kimchi!
I hope that you will give this recipe for pa kimchi a try. The recipe is so very easy and quick, and not to worry! If you don’t have any wild green onions, regular green onions will do. 🙂
The recipe calls for Korean hot pepper powder, which is so beautiful! You can find this at your local Korean market, or you can order it here on Amazon.
If you like banchan, you may also like to view the following recipes:
Kimchi is one of the foods listed in the book 1,000 Foods To Eat Before You Die, by Mimi Sheraton. It became #18 in my quest to try each and every one of the foods in the book.
Please follow along with me on this quest to try the 1,000 Foods To Eat Before You Die, from the book by Mimi Sheraton! Join me in this journey and discover new foods, experiences, and cuisines which I hope will add inspiration, fun, and joy to your life! For a list of the foods tried so far visit the 1,000 Foods to Eat Project page.
If you’d like to follow along and be a part of the 1,000 Foods Project, please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It’s an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 🙂
Enjoy this taste of Korea, and look out for some more Korean recipes to come!
If you like this recipe, please rate and comment below. Thank you!
Korean Wild Green Onion Kimchi – Pa Kimchi
- 300 grams wild green onions, or green onions
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup Korean hot pepper powder
- 6 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- Rinse the green onions, and cut off the bottom portion with the roots; remove any outer skins and then you can cut the remaining portion in half if desired
- Add the ginger, garlic, Korean hot pepper powder, fish sauce, and water to a mixing bowl, and mix all ingredients well. Start with 1/4 cup water, and add additional water if you prefer a saucier kimchi
- Add the green onions to the spice mix, and mix well using your hands. You may want to use some gloves at this point!
- Store the pa kimchi in an air tight container. This will keep for several weeks, but I don’t think it will last that long!