This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post raves about Chinese 5 Spice Roast Chicken!
Roast chicken is one of my favorite foods, and I'm sure many people will agree. It's delicious, easy to make, versatile and super budget friendly to boot.
My husband picked up this 5 lb bird at Trader Joe's the other day, and I tried out a new seasoning (Asian style) for the chicken which turned out absolutely fantastic.
Only 3 Ingredients For The Seasoning!
The seasoning consists simply of soy sauce, Chinese 5 spice, and honey. You can click through to purchase these on Amazon. After slathering olive oil on the chicken I simply basted it with that seasoning mixture and got it started. It is a bit hands on because I turned it quite frequently and continued basting with the dripping as well as more of the soy/honey/5 spice mixture.
The result? Succulent, beautifully colored and delicious roast chicken. Garnished with green onions and some sriracha sauce and served with rice, it was a very comforting and awesome meal.
By the way, do you know what makes up Chinese 5 spice? If not, it's star anise, cloves, cinnamon, fennel, and black pepper. The intoxicating aroma is still around in my house today, as is leftover chicken, which won't last long. Toby my St. Bernard will make sure of that. LOL
I hope you will give this recipe a try! Chinese 5 Spice Roast Chicken just may become your next favorite roast chicken. 🙂
Other Recipes You May Enjoy!
Chinese 5 Spice Roast Chicken
- 5 lb Whole Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 ts Chinese 5 Spice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Prior to prepping your chicken, bring it out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for around 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to between 350-375F. Pat your chicken dry, and rub it all over with the olive oil.
- Combine the honey, 5 spice, and soy sauce in a small bowl. Whisk.
- Baste your chicken with this honey, 5 spice, and soy sauce mix. Cover all areas of the outside, and also rub some into the cavity of the chicken.
- Once the oven is heated to 350-375F, place your basted chicken in the oven. This is hands on BUT you want to check it every 15 minutes or so. Every 15 minutes during the approximately 2 hour cooking time, remove the chicken, baste, turn it over, and baste the other side. Repeat these steps throughout the entire cooking process.
- You will cook the chicken until the internal temperature reaches around 180F. Insert a thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, not touching bone, until the thermometer reads 180F. At 375F this should take between 1.5-2 hrs for a 5 pound chicken.
- Once the internal temperature reaches 180F, let the chicken rest for around 10 minutes. Carve and then enjoy!