This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about how to make Easy and Superb Spicy Chicken Bulgogi!
A Korean Food Dish To Dream About
I have a confession to make. I dream about Spicy Chicken Bulgogi. My bulgogi dreams are filled with the steam rising off the pan as the chicken cooks, and I swear I can taste the spicy, sweet, and garlicky flavor of the spicy bulgogi... And then I wake and realize that I can make my Spicy Chicken Bulgogi dreams come true easily and quickly! ☺️ Let me show you how you can make your spicy Korean chicken dreams come true too with this easy recipe!
What Is Spicy Chicken Bulgogi?
Bulgogi is a beloved Korean bbq dish. It translates fire (bul) meat (gogi). Typically fine cuts of beef are used for bulgogi, and the beef is marinated and grilled. The taste is DIVINE.
So, Chicken Bulgogi (or Dak Bulgogi) is a fantastic variation on beef bulgogi. Here, we are going to make it SPICY, by including two ingredients that are essential in Korean dishes. These are gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste) and gochugaru (Korean hot pepper powder).
We will also create a chicken bulgogi marinade for our "fire meat" dish, and to keep it simple we will stir fry this in a frying pan (cast iron skillet preferred). No outdoor grill is needed for this Korean chicken recipe!
What Ingredients Will I Need To Make This Incredible Dish?
You will need the following short list of fresh ingredients to make this delicious Korean Spicy Chicken Bulgogi recipe:
- Skinless Chicken thighs (can sub chicken breast)
- Gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
- Gochugaru (Korean hot pepper powder)
- Regular Soy sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Fresh Ginger
- Fresh Garlic
- Black pepper
- Sesame oil
- Green onions (as garnish)
- Sesame seeds (as garnish)
- Vegetable oil
Nowadays many larger grocers sell gochujang paste and gochugaru so you may be able to find them at your local large grocer. Asian markets should carry all of these items, and I have also linked to Amazon for convenience.
Quick and Easy Method To Spicy Chicken Bulgogi Heaven!
You won't believe how easy it is to make this dish! The hardest part is making the marinade, or bulgogi sauce. Once you've created that, using a large bowl simply coat bite size pieces of your chicken in the spicy marinade. I recommend leaving it to marinate around 30 minutes, but you can let it rest for around 15 minutes if you like.
Next, simply heat up some vegetable oil in your pan on a medium high heat to high heat. I recommend using a cast iron skillet or a wok.
Then add the chicken pieces and stir fry for around 5-7 minutes until cooked through.
That's it! Unbelievably easy!
How To Serve Korean Spicy Chicken Bulgogi
You will fall head over heels for the savory bulgogi flavor with a spicy kick!
This spicy, garlicky, slightly sweet chicken is best served with white rice or brown rice, and garnished with loads of green onions and sesame seeds.
A spicy cucumber salad such as Quick and Easy Cucumber Kimchi is a wonderful accompaniment!
Chicken bulgogi is also perfect in lettuce wraps or lettuce cups! Just place a few pieces of the bulgogi in your favorite lettuce, open wide, and enjoy!
I hope you are ready to make your Spicy Chicken Bulgogi dreams come true soon! Super easy and super delicious it may become one of your favorite Korean recipes to make!
Some Other Recipes You Will Love!
If you’d like to come along on this food journey with me, please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It’s an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 🙂
Thank you!! (gam sa ham ni da)
Easy To Make Superb Spicy Chicken Bulgogi!
- Cast iron skillet or wok preferred
- 2 lb chicken thighs (boneless and skinless) can use chicken breast if you prefer
- 3 tablespoon gochujang Korean hot pepper paste
- 2 tablespoon gochugaru Korean red pepper powder
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ts black pepper can use coarse black pepper
- 1 ts sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 or 2 green onions sliced, as garnish
- sesame seeds as garnish
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. The marinade ingredients include: gochujang, gochugaru, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, black pepper, and sesame oil. Mix well.
- Coat the chicken with the marinade. Set it aside to rest for around 30 minutes.
- Place your skillet (cast iron or wok preferred) on a medium high heat to high heat on your stove and add the vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken add stir fry (stir often) for around 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately with steamed rice and garnished with delicious sesame seeds and sliced green onions!