Sometimes there is nothing better than a great sandwich.
I love sandwiches because they are so satisfying, budget friendly, and easy to prepare.
This healthy turkey sandwich is so colorful. In addition to the zucchini it includes red onion, tomatoes, and havarti cheese, but you can also substitute swiss. The dressing is a mixture of mayonnaise, dijon mustard, and fresh garlic, which gives it a kick.
My preference is to grill the zucchini. Not to worry...you don't have to fire up the outside grill to grill zucchini. 🙂 If you have a nonstick grill pan, such as the Cuisinart grill pan which is what I use, you can get some nice grill marks on your zucchini. If not, any nonstick pan will do.
Grilling the zucchini brings out wonderful nutty and sweet flavors of this vegetable. They also look beautiful grilled. 🙂
Sourdough bread is used in this recipe, however you can use whatever bread you prefer or have on hand. I like toasted bread, and as you can see in the picture I have stood the bread on edge. If you decide to toast your bread, standing them on edge helps prevent the bread from going soggy.
I hope you will try this delicious and healthy sandwich sometime soon, perhaps served with a soup or salad. You might enjoy this Spicy Broccoli and Cheddar Soup recipe, or a Roasted Beet and Spinach Salad with this sandwich. Enjoy!
Healthy Turkey Sandwich With Grilled Zucchini
- 6 slices sourdough bread or other sandwich bread of choice
- 6 oz roasted turkey breast
- 4 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoon mayonaise
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 zucchini
- 1 tomato sliced
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 slices havarti or swiss cheese
- Toast your sourdough bread if desired. Use a toaster, and then stand the bread on end to prevent the bread from going soggy.
- Mix the mayo, dijon mustard and garlic cloves together. Add some pepper, and set aside. Slice your onion and tomato.
- Heat up your nonstick grill pan to medium high. If you don't have a grill pan, then any nonstick pan will do. Slice both ends off the zucchini. Then cut in half and slice lengthwise. You want fairly thick slices of zucchini. Place in a bowl, drizzle the olive oil, and some salt and pepper, over the zucchini. Mix well.
- Add the zucchini to the hot pan, and grill for a couple of minutes on each side. Remove to a plate.
- Assemble your sandwiches. Spread the mayo/dijon mustard generously on one side of 2 pieces of bread. Lay the cheese down, and then top with ⅓ each of the turkey, onion, more mayo/mustard, grilled zucchini, and tomatoes. Sprinkle some pepper, and then top with the other slice of bread. Repeat for the other 2 sandwiches.