This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about the delicious comforting Korean Braised Spicy Chicken called Dak Doritang!
Allow me to set the scene. It’s cold out, and you are getting hungry for some warming and delicious comfort food. A spicy dish to top it off would be better to up the warming factor. The perfect dish to hit the spot would be Dak Doritang. 🙂
What is Dak Doritang?
Dak Doritang, or Korean Braised Spicy Chicken, is a traditional Korean dish. Absolutely fantastic as a comfort food, it is comprised of the following ingredients:
- Chicken drumsticks
- Garlic and ginger
- Gochujang (Korean Hot Pepper Paste)
- Gochugaru (Korean Hot Pepper Powder)
- Sesame Oil
- Soy Sauce
- Green onions (optional garnish)
I have linked to Amazon for some of these products (my favorites :-)) for convenience if you are interested in purchasing on Amazon. Otherwise, you should be able to get these items at a major grocery store or Asian market.
I have read that sometimes the chicken, vegetables, and spices are stir fried before braising. However, this recipe does not involve stir frying, which makes it simpler, but it is equally delicious!
How Long Does it Take to Make Dak Doritang?
So, it takes around one hour to make this dish. Prepping your vegetables and spices takes around 10-15 minutes, and braising and simmer time is 45 minutes.
The hour spent cooking this is WELL WORTH IT! You will be treated to succulent chicken and tender vegetables in a marvelously spicy sauce at the end of the cooking time! Moreover, during the cooking time you will be treated to fabulous aromas of this stew simmering on the stove!
What to Serve with Dak Doritang
Dak Doritang is best served with some white rice. I would also recommend some banchan (Korean side dishes) such as Korean Spicy Bean Sprouts or Korean Bok Choy Kimchi to accompany this incredible dish. 🙂
Simple, easy, comforting, spicy, warming, delicious, amazing, fantastic.. I could continue with the accolades but you get the idea.
In conclusion, I truly hope you will treat yourself to a bowl of Dak Doritang soon!
mas-issge deuseyo 맛있게 드세요 Enjoy Your Meal!!
Some Other Dishes You May Enjoy!
Sign up to get the latest recipes and culinary inspiration! Join me by signing up here. 🙂
Korean Braised Spicy Chicken (Dak Doritang)
- 2 lb chicken drumsticks
- 2 potatoes peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 onion peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch ginger peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp gochujang Korean hot pepper paste
- 2 tbsp gochugaru Korean hot pepper powder
- 1 tbsp sugar can use brown or white
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Green onions optional garnish
- doenjang Korean soybean paste – optional but great! Add to taste!
- Combine then mix the following in a small bowl: garlic, ginger, sugar, gochujang, gochugaru, soy sauce, and water. Set aside.
- Place a large pot over medium high heat. Add the chicken, potatoes, carrots, and onion, followed by the spicy sauce/paste. Stir to combine, and then bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer (should be around medium low or so), and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the sesame oil then stir. The dish is now ready to serve!
맛있게 드세요 (Enjoy your meal in Korean!)