This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about the delicious comforting Korean Braised Spicy Chicken called Dak Doritang!
Allow me to set the scene. It's cold out, and you are getting hungry for some warming and delicious comfort food. A spicy dish to top it off would be better to up the warming factor. The perfect dish to hit the spot would be Dak Doritang.
If you love spicy foods, then you will ADORE this Korean Spicy Chicken recipe!
This great recipe is so simple and easy. And this dish is comforting, spicy, warming, delicious, amazing, fantastic and has so much flavour.. I could continue with the accolades but you get the idea. 😃
What is Dak Doritang?
Dak Doritang, or Korean Braised Spicy Chicken, is a traditional dish from South Korea. Absolutely fantastic as a comfort food, it is comprised of the following ingredients:
- Chicken drumsticks
- Fresh Ginger
- Gochujang (Korean Hot Pepper Paste)
- Gochugaru (Korean Red Pepper Powder)
- Sesame Oil
- Soy Sauce
- Spring onions (optional garnish)
- Sesame seeds (optional garnish)
I have chosen to use chicken drumsticks for this recipe. However, you could substitute chicken breasts, bone-in chicken thighs, or boneless chicken thighs if you wish.
I have linked to Amazon for some of these products (my favorites) for convenience if you are interested in purchasing on Amazon. Otherwise, you should be able to get these items at a major grocery store or Korean food market.
Instructions To Make This Korean Chicken Recipe
It's super easy to make this spicy Korean chicken recipe!
Begin by prepping your vegetables. Peel the potatoes, carrots and onions and cut them into bite sized pieces.
Now make your spicy braising sauce. Combine then mix the following in a small bowl: minced garlic, minced ginger, sugar, gochujang, gochugaru, soy sauce, and water. Set aside.
Place a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces, potatoes, carrots, and onion, followed by the spicy sauce/paste. Stir to combine, and then bring to the boil.
I have read that sometimes the chicken, vegetables, and spices are stir fried before braising. However, this recipe does not involve stir frying, which makes it simpler, but it is equally delicious!
Reduce heat to a simmer (should be around medium low heat to medium heat), and simmer covered for 45 minutes for best results.
The last steps are to add the sesame oil and doenjang if using, then stir. Garnish with sliced spring onions and sesame seeds if you like, then the dish is now ready to serve!
How Long Does it Take to Make Korean Braised Spicy Chicken?
So, it takes around one hour to make this dish. Prepping your vegetables and spices takes around 10-15 minutes, and braising and simmer time is 45 minutes.
The time spent braising and cooking this is WELL WORTH IT! You will be treated to succulent chicken and tender vegetables in a marvelously spicy sauce at the end of the cooking time! Moreover, during the cooking time you will be treated to fabulous aromas of this stew simmering on the stove!
What to Serve with Dak Doritang
Dak Doritang is best served with some white rice or brown rice. I would also recommend some banchan (Korean side dishes) such as Korean Spicy Bean Sprouts or Korean Bok Choy Kimchi to accompany this incredible dish.
In conclusion, I truly hope you will treat yourself to a bowl of Dak Doritang soon!
mas-issge deuseyo 맛있게 드세요 Enjoy Your Meal!! And if you love this recipe, please leave a five star rating with your comments below!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in your fridge. Best enjoyed within 4 days!
I have not tried making this dish in the slow cooker, but I think it would work very well! Try combining all ingredients in your slower cooker and cook on a low setting for around 4 hours. I suspect the flavors would be amazing!
Some Other Korean Recipes You May Enjoy!
Korean Fried Chicken Recipe (Crispy Korean Fried Chicken coated with a tasty Gochujang Sauce!)
Sign up to get the latest recipes and culinary inspiration! Join me by signing up here. 😃
Korean Braised Spicy Chicken (Dak Doritang)
- 2 lb chicken drumsticks
- 2 potatoes peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 onion peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch ginger peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoon gochujang Korean hot pepper paste
- 2 tablespoon gochugaru Korean hot pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar can use brown or white
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Spring onions optional garnish
- doenjang Korean soybean paste - optional but great! Add to taste!
- sesame seeds optional garnish
- Combine then mix the following in a small bowl: garlic, ginger, sugar, gochujang, gochugaru, soy sauce, and water. Set aside.
- Place a large pot over medium high heat. Add the chicken, potatoes, carrots, and onion, followed by the spicy sauce/paste. Stir to combine, and then bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer (should be around medium low or so), and simmer covered for 45 minutes.
- The last steps are to add the sesame oil and doenjang if using, then stir. Garnish with sliced spring onions and sesame seeds if you like, then the dish is now ready to serve!
맛있게 드세요 (Enjoy your meal in Korean!)