This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about how to make Incredibly Easy and Delicious Mussels With Black Bean Sauce!
Get Ready To Enjoy Mussels With Black Bean Sauce – An Absolute Flavor Sensation!
Mussels with Black Bean Sauce is an absolute FLAVOR BOMB! The briny and salty taste of the sea combined with the rich delicious taste of the Black Bean Sauce is just incredible! This dish is also one of the 1,000 Foods To Eat Before You Die! Allow me to explain!
1,000 Foods To Eat Project
I am working my way through the foods that are listed in the book 1,000 Foods to Eat Before You Die by Mimi Sheraton. This is called my 1,000 Foods to Eat Project. The Chinese dish called Shellfish in Black Bean Sauce is food #54 in my Project! Now, the author states that Chinese Black Bean Sauce is “perhaps most mouthwatering when simmered with mollusks” such as mussels, clams, oysters or periwinkles. I decided to try this out with mussels, and I was over the moon happy with the results!
In this book, the author Mimi Sheraton lists her choice for the 1,000 Foods of the World that you MUST try. Whether you try this with mussels, or another mollusk, you will absolutely be bowled over! Please don’t let another day pass you by before enjoying this dish! 😃
What Ingredients Will I Need To Make Mussels in Black Bean Sauce?
You will only need 4 ingredients to make this incredible dish. Having said that, this assumes you have some Black Bean Sauce at the ready. More about this in a bit.
The 4 ingredients you will need are:
- Mussels – I use frozen mussels in this recipe to keep things very simple and easy
- Black Bean Sauce – you can buy a commercially made black bean sauce, however trust me when I plead with you to make your own! Please click here for my recipe on How To Make Your Own Delicious Chinese Black Bean Sauce.
- Green onions
- Dried Asian chilies – this is purely optional, but I LOVE LOVE spice so I have included them in this recipe
The Homemade Black Bean Sauce takes about 20 minutes to make, and it’s super fun and satisfying as well! Once you have a jar of this sauce, you can use it to stir fry veggies, or include it in a marvelous Shrimp With Black Bean Sauce dish!
Let’s Make This Mouthwatering Dish!
This dish takes around 15 minutes from start to finish assuming you are using frozen mussels and have your black bean sauce ready to go.
Simply add frozen mussels to a saucepan on medium high heat. Once they start to open, add black bean sauce and continue to cook until most of the mussels are opened and warmed through (heat reduced a bit), stirring every so often.
The last step is to add the green onions and dried Asian chilies (if using). Leave the chilies whole for less heat, or cut them up so the seeds fall out for more heat. You could also add the chilies just for color, and put them to the side rather than eat them if you wish. 😃
And there you have it! Serve with steamed rice so that the rice soaks up the juices from the mussels and black bean sauce. This is so so delicious!
You will NOT regret making these Incredibly Easy and Delicious Mussels With Black Bean Sauce!
Some Other Recipes You May Enjoy!
If you’d like to come along on this food journey with me, please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It’s an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 🙂
Incredibly Easy and Delicious Mussels With Black Bean Sauce
- Deep Saucepan
- 2 lb frozen mussels
- 4-6 each Asian dried chilies can omit if you like or reduce amount or add more!
- 3 tbsp black bean sauce
- 2 green onions sliced
- Add 2 lb of frozen mussels to a deep saucepan and place on med high heat.
- Once they come to the boil and start to open, add and stir in 3 heaping tablespoons of black bean sauce.
- Continue to cook until all or most all of the mussels open, stirring every so often. Then add the Asian dried chilies (if using) and green onions. Stir to combine.
- Your Mussels With Black Bean Sauce are now ready to serve!