This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. This post is about how to make Easy Haitian Rice and Beans![feast_advanced_jump_to]
The Haitians definitely know how to make a simple and humble dish of rice and beans SPECTACULAR!
Haitian cuisine is a Creole cuisine and has a signature BOLD and SPICY flavor! You will experience these flavors in this yummy rice dish!
Why Make This Rice and Beans Recipe?
You will want to make this fantastic Haitian Rice and Beans recipe because:
- Quite simply it is DELICIOUS!
- It is super easy to make!
- This recipe uses canned beans which means no soaking and cooking time needed for dry beans. You can have this on your table in about 45 minutes (including resting time)!
- It's nutritious! Rice and beans are a staple food around the world and the beans provide protein and fiber, and can be a meal in itself.
- This dish is very inexpensive to make and totally budget friendly!
- You can enjoy one of the great dishes of Haiti!
- It is the perfect accompaniment to meats such as chicken, especially Haitian Chicken!
So, let me tell you what ingredients you will need for this dish!
Ingredients Needed For Haitian Rice and Beans
Here's what you will need to make this superb rice dish:
- Rice (long grained works perfectly!)
- Black beans (canned) - you could also use canned pinto beans or red kidney beans
- Fresh thyme
- Scotch bonnet peppers
- Chicken bouillon cube (please use Maggi just as the Haitians do!)
- Whole cloves and whole allspice
- Coconut milk and water
- Olive oil
You may have most of these items on hand already! 😃
Now allow me to show you how EASY this is to make!
SUPER EASY INSTRUCTIONS
Honestly this couldn't be easier to make!
Start by placing your pot on a medium high heat and heat up some olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add minced onion and garlic and sauté for around 2 minutes.
Then add the remaining ingredients; rice, coconut milk, water, chicken bouillon cube, whole can of beans (do not drain), Scotch bonnets, salt, pepper, thyme, allspice, and cloves. Bring this to the boil, and then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for around 25 minutes. You will want to simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed.
Remove from the heat and allow to rest (covered) for 10 minutes. Then taste and adjust for seasonings (salt and pepper) as necessary. Remove the thyme sprigs if desired. That's it!
What To Serve With Haitian Rice and Beans
The PERFECT accompaniment to this dish is Poul Nan Sos (Chicken in Sauce), otherwise known as Haitian Chicken!
This pairing is a total match made in Heaven!
I do hope you will enjoy these rice and beans accompanied by some Poul Nan Sos soon!
Some Other Recipes You May Enjoy!
Belizean Hot Pepper Onion Sauce
Sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 😊
Jwi manje ou! (Enjoy your food in Haitian Creole)
Easy Haitian Rice and Beans Recipe
- 1 large pot with a cover
- 1 cup rice long grain works just great for this
- 15 oz black beans canned (don't drain)
- ½ onion minced or diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 Scotch bonnet peppers can vary the amount according to the level of heat that you like
- 1 chicken bouillon cube Haitians like to use Maggi as do I! (can sub 1 cup of chicken broth for the bouillon cube and water if you prefer)
- 2 each whole cloves
- 2 each whole allspice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ ts salt plus additional added to taste
- ¼ ts pepper plus additional added to taste
- Place your pot on a medium high heat and heat the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the minced onion and garlic and sauté for around 2 minutes.
- Then add rice, coconut milk, water, chicken bouillon cube, whole can of beans (do not drain), Scotch bonnets, salt, pepper, thyme, allspice, and cloves. Bring this to the boil, and then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for around 25 minutes. You will want to simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and allow to rest (covered) for 10 minutes. Then taste and adjust for seasonings (salt and pepper) as necessary. Remove the thyme sprigs if desired.