This page may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. Here you will find a SUPERB canned black eyed peas recipe for Mashed Black Eyed Peas![feast_advanced_jump_to]
If You Love Black Eyed Peas Then You MUST Make This Recipe!
Are you a black eyed pea lover? Then you MUST make this canned black eyed pea recipe! It's super fun to try black eyed peas in a whole new way!
These mashed black eyed peas are:
- Great as a super healthyish side dish! (contains bacon 😃); WebMD.com has a great article on the health benefits of black eyed peas!
- Ready in about 30 minutes (using canned black eyed peas)
- Rich with the taste of bacon and your favorite Cajun seasoning! (you can sub a different seasoning or season with just salt and pepper)
- Spicy with the addition of jalapeno peppers!
Read on to find out what you will need to make this superb side dish!
What Ingredients Are Needed To Make These Mashed Black Eyed Peas?
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this dish:
- Canned black eyed peas
- Jalapeno peppers
- Salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning
You may already have most of these items in your pantry! 😊. So let's give this a try!
Simple Steps To A Delish Side Dish!
Follow these 4 simple steps to a DELISH side dish!
- Cut up 3 pieces of bacon and fry until mostly crispy. Remove the bacon and drain on a paper towel.
2. Add minced onion, garlic, and jalapeño's to the bacon fat and stir until softened.
3. Now add the black eye peas (drained) to the mixture and season with Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir to heat through.
4. It's time to mash! Slightly mash the black eyed peas with a masher or the back of a spatula. Aiming for a mixture of mashed and coarser peas is quite nice, but you can mash away to your heart's content for a smoother mixture.
Add the bacon back in and give it a good stir. Adjust for seasoning and now your delish Mashed Black Eyed Peas are ready to serve!
What To Serve With These Healthy Peas!
This dish makes a great side for almost any main! It's particularly great to serve alongside chicken. I would like to suggest an awesome Cajun Smothered Chicken for your consideration.
However you decide to serve it, please enjoy the rich and creamy deliciousness of this black eyed pea dish!
Some Other Recipes You May Enjoy!
If you'd like to come along on this food journey with me, please sign up to get the latest recipes and inspiration for you to expand your food comfort zone! It's an incredible journey, please join me by signing up here. 😃
SUPERB Mashed Black Eyed Peas!
- 1 Skillet
- 2 16 oz cans black eyed peas
- 3 slices bacon cut up into small pieces
- 1 small onion minced
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers minced (can omit if you prefer a less spicy dish)
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Cajun seasoning to taste
- Cut up 3 pieces of bacon and fry on a medium high heat until mostly crispy (around 5-10 minutes). Remove the bacon and drain on a paper towel.
- Lower to a medium heat. Add minced onion, garlic, and jalapeño's to the bacon fat and stir often until softened (around 5 minutes).
- Drain the black eyed peas. Now add the black eye peas to the mixture and season with Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste. Give it a good stir, then allow to heat through stirring once in awhile for around 5 minutes.
- It's time to mash! Slightly mash the black eye peas with a masher or the back of a spatula. Aiming for a mixture of mashed and coarser beans is quite nice, but you can mash away to your heart's content for a smoother mixture.
- Add the bacon back in and give it a good stir. Adjust for seasoning and now your delish Mashed Black Eyed Peas are ready to serve!